Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portable solar panel connector to vehicle batteries

Loz2286

Loz2286

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before but my search revealed solutions that weren't quite what I'm after.

Current set up:-
2021 T6.1 using standard dual battery array. I also use a Ecoflow River Pro to provide off-grid charging solutions and 240v AC, leaving the vehicle batteries to look after the fridge, the camping lights and heater for short bursts.

The plan:-
I'd like to extend off-grid capability of both electrical systems and am considering buying a portable solar panel array to charge my Ecoflow. I'd like the option to give the on-board batteries a boost if I'm on longer stays as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts how I could go about connecting the panels to the batteries? I thought about fitting a trailer lead to the forward leisure battery tucked under the seat, which I could get access to when I needed. The California is the most complicated vehicle I've ever owned and I'm nervous to bugger around with things.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before but my search revealed solutions that weren't quite what I'm after.

2021 T6.1 using standard dual battery array. I also use a Ecoflow River Pro to provide off-grid charging solutions and 240v AC, leaving the vehicle batteries to look after the fridge, the camping lights and heater for short bursts.

I'd like to extend off-grid capability of both electrical systems and am considering buying a portable solar panel array to charge my Ecoflow. I'd like the option to give the on-board batteries a boost if I'm on longer stays as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts how I could go about connecting the panels to the batteries? I thought about fitting a trailer lead to the forward leisure battery tucked under the seat, which I could get access to when I needed. The California is the most complicated vehicle I've ever owned and I'm nervous to bugger around with things.
Your idea of a trailer lead is the best way forward, either to the front or the rear Leisure Battery, doesn't matter.
Just remember , because of the battery monitoring on the T6.1 the Solar +tve lead to Battery +tve lead, BUT the -tve Solar lead to a chassis earth, normally the bolt holding the battery clamp or something similar.
You could also do the same on the Engine Battery and connect/wire your lead the same way.

I have an EcoFlow 220w Bifacial panel and use this to both charge an EcoFlow Delta Max and also to charge my leisure batteries. I installed a Victron MPPT to the leisure batteries with MC4 connectors and carry an extension cable of 3 meters. The mppt is installed below the front seat with the cables easily reachable. I then connect the extension cable and run it through a front window which is closed as much as possible to not pinch the cable and either place the panel on the ground with it’s stand or use carabiners to hang it from the awning rail. Works great!

I used an MPPT for more efficient charging and more importantly that my 220W panel will puts out more than 10A and this will blow a fuse if you attempt to use the 12V cig port, etc. Those can’t take more than 10A so you’d need to use a smaller panel.

The EcoFlow panels are very good quality and come with standard MC4 connectors. You just need to get the polarity right on the extension and leads from the MPPT.

I would do it the other way around install a solar panel on the van with a charger similar to the Victron then create a charge lead to charge the river from the load port of the victron. You can set a profile to charge the leisure batteries before the river that way you leisure batteries are always topped off then the river takes any spare power.

Back