Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar charging leisure battery's

Tangle Foot said:
The batteries after a short drive will show 100%.... but only for a short time.

You need to look at the amps. If it's +25ish then it's a long way off charged.

+ve amps= charging
-ve amps= draining

The lower the +ve amps reading when charging, the closer to charged. Not sure if this makes sense??

Ah. A Very interesting and clear explanation. Suddenly things fall into place :) Thanks Tangle Foot, and nice one.

Leisure batteries need to be kept up to charge if they are to last a reasonable time.
A solar panel will give a trickle charge any time that it is light and help to keep the batteries in good condition. If you don't the use the van a lot and can't keep a mains trickle charger on then it will help.
We have been at the Grand Prix from Thursday to Sunday night in the Bongo (Cali arrives tomorrow :D ) and the leisure battery stayed up around 90% all the time with the solar panel. Fridge on all the time and using lights in the evening.

Cool. That's what I was hoping, a trickle charge should help somewhat. Enjoy your new Cali!

Hi Graham
Hope you had good holiday; how did you get on with your solar charging - was it adequate to charge the batteries?
Your Neighbour (Nigel)

Hello Cali friends,

I'm looking for your advice please .... how to find a workable and affordable solution to charge our leisure batteries whilst away camping.

1. there will be no electric hook up available
2. running the engine for 30 minutes during the day - what we normally do -
would not be appreciated by our fellow campers (it will be a very packed in site).
3. need to run electrics (fridge/lights etc) for about 7 days - Cali not moving.
4. I do NOT want to install a permanent solar panel in the van - drilling or gluing on the roof makes my hair stand up...
5. due to weight and size - ruling out folding panels like Bosch fold up Xplorer Panel Kit

the only idea I've had is to look into flexible/light way panels like Apolloflex
[/http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/uploads/asset_file/ApolloFLEX%20Mono-2013.pdf]
but at some £400 for a 35w lightweight panel that seems a rather expensive option. Then there is the question whether a 35w will be sufficient to provide sufficient power.
the 70w panel costing £600+ .... which is certainly beyond my available pocket money.

I want a lightweight / flexible panel (not to damage the dash) that I can position on the dash board and lock the van.
Given the above constrains - what would you do? Appreciate your ideas. Many thanks
posting.php?f=21&t=4425&mode=reply&d=193#

Run your engine in daylight hours....anyone that objects is a peasant ........

I have the same issue here parked at Le Mans for 7 days........

Get one of these, 2.5 mm thick 2.8kg flexible solar panel 100 watt £113. Stick it to roof temporarily with gaffer tape & face roof south. Also will need a charge controller about £40. Should keep battery topped up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251549199063

I plan to put two of these on my roof.

Honda 4 stroke generator ? Much quieter than a diesel vehicle engine, they can be run on bottled gas too. I don't know if camping gaz is suitable but someone on here will know.

http://www.seddondirect.co.uk/HondaEU10i. This is the smallest physically and in terms of power output that Honda does.

Much cheaper ones are available at 50 per cent of this cost or less, but I do like these as I am a sucker for good design and engineering. I have the bigger 2kw Honda one for backup duties at home, but this 1kw fella might be enough for the Cali.

Easiest option is to take the van out for a spin and run the engine where it causes less offence every three days

I agree with Andy but make sure you get a genuine MPPT control unit. There are some around which purport to be MPPT but aren't. A good one will be around £60-70. The advantage is that they allow charging better from low light sources.

MPPT controller is "mandatory".

Any with good Ideas of where to "drill" hole and pull the cables from roof top to the leisure batteries?

Are the cables SO big? How many mm is it? And whats your Watt on the Solar pannel?'

It's a 100w panel and those are the cables that came attached to the panel.
I guess they are about 6mm. The problem with smaller cables is that there is a possibility of volt drop and losing some charge.
Now that the weather is warming up I will be putting the panel onto our new Cali. Sikaflex it to the roof between the roof bars and then look at drilling holes in the roof. I'll put rubber grommets in the holes and seal them with silicon sealer.

Hi briwy, this is my next project. Do you have more photos of your previous set up for solar? I am waiting for the roof rot fix, so not a permanent install as yet

Cheers

Just looking at your photos. Did the aluminium angle clear the roof in the centre? It looks like it's touching but you can't really tell from the photo. Also, what panel did you use? It looks a perfect fit.

Thanks.

The panel was a standard 100w unit from eBay. BTW it still went under a 2m barrier as well. Not sure how close it was but no trouble on the French tolls.
Yes, the angle did touch the roof in the middle as the roof is slightly bowed. I stuck some helicopter tape on the underside of the angle to prevent any damage to the roof.

Could you use a Brass Eyelet through the canvas to get the wires into the interior. Would avoid holes in the bodywork .
Using a Tarpaulin eyelet repair kit I have managed putting eyelets in a pitched tent using a sledgehammer head, held by a friend on the outside, as the anvil.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DRA0JZQ/?tag=eliteelect-21

The batteries after a short drive will show 100%.... but only for a short time.

You need to look at the amps. If it's +25ish then it's a long way off charged.

+ve amps= charging
-ve amps= draining

The lower the +ve amps reading when charging, the closer to charged. Not sure if this makes sense??

Hello Tanglefoot
A circuitous route to find someone in Loughborough, where I have just arrived briefly on a visit, but I have found you via the User Map, and already learned something from this post which I needed to know, so thanks for that.
I am hoping one of the forum members would be willing to run through a few such basic non-specific essentials with me as I am a total novice to my very new to me (1992 T4) campervan and driving an old slow diesel van to boot. If you have the time and the inclination, I was hoping I might call by this eve (1 Jun) or tomorrow before I set off again to get a few tips. A long shot, I know, but I would so appreciate a bit of help. The Manual is all in German and I've not yet got a printed english one

My email is avasbar[at]+++++[dot]com .
Heartfelt thanks
Laura

My other van has an 80w panel on a 100a/h leisure battery. 80w will provide more than enough power for phones and lights etc, mine was about 5 or 6amps in good sunlight. The battery was always full no matter what we did. However once I got a compressor fridge imho it will only extend your stay. I could go 3-4 days before the solar and about 5 to 7 after it was fitted depending on weather.

Best starting point is to work out what you want to use, by working out the average power usage of all your devices/items and then what a panel will kick out. I seem to remember with my fridge that a 120w panel would be close to self sufficient but 150w would in theory generate more than I could use most of the time.

So 100w minimum I would say and if you want to be off grid for pre-longed periods with fridge you really want 150w maybe even 200w to be sure.

@Laura B I'm in Warwickshire sadly, although I don't know the T4 may be able to advise. You could start a thread, take a few pics of your setup and Im sure someone could advise.

[USER=11786 said:
@Laura B[/USER] I'm in Warwickshire sadly, although I don't know the T4 may be able to advise. You could start a thread, take a few pics of your setup and Im sure someone could advise.

Thanks Matt, thats kind of you - will do if necessary. I've got a manual now to print off, should see me through and found out the throttle cable was sticky so hopefully that's sorted out that little problem.
Laura

Back