Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removable tow bar GC

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I am looking at getting the dealer to fit the VW standard Removable tow bar 7C0092115B
Although its described as removable the only info I have seen suggests that you need a set of spanners to do that. The leaflet says "it can be unscrewed quickly & easily" has anyone got a set of instructions I could see? Is it just undoing the 4 bolts that hold the ball to the backplate or is it a bit more sophisticated than that?

Hi @andyinluton check here for a pic of the removable part (?) @Jester should be able to comment/advise better, post #12 looks like it might slot in place?

Thanks that second picture makes sense. A fixed tow bar takes you over the 6m so doubles the price on a calmac ferry! so keen to get the removable.

Thanks that second picture makes sense. A fixed tow bar takes you over the 6m so doubles the price on a calmac ferry! so keen to get the removable.
Hi Andie, as Mr T mentioned. Please see photos of the OEM removable toe bar. It weighs a ton. 1st photo obviously without the toe ball.

You may possibly be over the allowable weight if you have opted for an awning and the 3500kg GC. Ok if 3880kg.

By the way I use the Thule Velocompact 2 bike platform and the rear doors just just open when the bike rack is tilted.

Hope this is of help.

Will

1C924E0A-866B-4068-B850-EE7303DF436A.jpeg

93964C37-A321-4FF6-B2B3-A2F25EAD98BE.jpeg

568B3FAB-44BC-4F00-883C-8A94B501BFFF.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to update this, I've had the VW detachable towbar fitted. It's totally different to the factory fit removable one. Apparently the supporting steelwork weighs substantially less but the bar has the same load rating.

To detach it you have to undo 4 bolts! I did sarcastically ask what the difference would be with a none detachable towbar - is it welded on?
But no - apparently this is it, to be fair the bolts are only done up to 90lb/ft so not really tight at all & it is quick to do.

IMG_4434.jpg

Just to update this, I've had the VW detachable towbar fitted. It's totally different to the factory fit removable one. Apparently the supporting steelwork weighs substantially less but the bar has the same load rating.

To detach it you have to undo 4 bolts! I did sarcastically ask what the difference would be with a none detachable towbar - is it welded on?
But no - apparently this is it, to be fair the bolts are only done up to 90lb/ft so not really tight at all & it is quick to do.

View attachment 91256
Andy your steel work and bracketery looks identical to factory except for the rubber flanges. There is not much iron work behind the bumper on mine.
The detachable shown in my photos will fit what is shown on your photos. IMO they are identical apart from mine being quick release. So really not much weight difference.

View attachment 91256
Andy looking at it again you would only need to purchase the base plates for both the tow bar itself and the face plate attached to the iron work. Making it properly detachable in 30 seconds without the need for spanner’s, sure the plates Wouldn’t cost much.

Hope that’s helpful but guess you worked it out for yourself.

Andy looking at it again you would only need to purchase the base plates for both the tow bar itself and the face plate attached to the iron work. Making it properly detachable in 30 seconds without the need for spanner’s, sure the plates Wouldn’t cost much.

I don't know what your idea of wouldn't cost much is?

The plates are actually a Rockinger Variobloc system apparently well known in the agricultural field. Cheapest I can find so far is shipping from Germany at about £400 all in.

There are all sorts of different accessories that can be fitted instead of a standard tow ball including towing eyes, NATO coupling etc. All very expensive but industrial strength rather than domestic. .

I don't know what your idea of wouldn't cost much is?

The plates are actually a Rockinger Variobloc system apparently well known in the agricultural field. Cheapest I can find so far is shipping from Germany at about £400 all in.

There are all sorts of different accessories that can be fitted instead of a standard tow ball including towing eyes, NATO coupling etc. All very expensive but industrial strength rather than domestic. .
No idea but all you need for what you have already attached is the x2 coupling blocks x1 for the hook itself and x1 for the bar x4 securing bolts oh and cover when not in use.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thats what I have got prices for, those 2 plates, the cover & 8 bolts with nuts is about £400

Thats what I have got prices for, those 2 plates, the cover & 8 bolts with nuts is about £400
Wow someone is making some money. I guess one has to think is it worth £400

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if that type of system is legal in the UK.
I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't - VW and MAN use it as a factory fitted system.

Looks to be inherently stronger than the usual westfalia type removable towbar that relies on a ball bearing to keep the whole thing attached.

I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't - VW and MAN use it as a factory fitted system.

Looks to be inherently stronger than the usual westfalia type removable towbar that relies on a ball bearing to keep the whole thing attached.
I was only wondering as US style tow hitches aren’t legal here, despite it being a much better system.

I’d be surprised if that type of system is legal in the UK.
Hopefully so as it’s OEM and fitted at factor, why do you assume that please.

Rockinger, the manufacturers are better known in the truck world & do things like draw bars on JCBs & agricultural equipment.

@Jester Could you please have a look at the part you have thats permanently attached to the van - there are two possible Rockinger part numbers either ROE 100B01001or ROE 100B02001are either of those showing? I could do with knowing which it is.

@Jester and @andyinluton, what is holding the lighting socket backing plate? Are the tow ball flange bolts used?
Don't be silly - this is industrial style engineering - its on a substantial steel plate welded on. It would have been better set back a couple of inches so it wasn't the bit sticking out the furthest when no towbar is attached.
IMG_4448.jpg

Don't be silly - this is industrial style engineering - its on a substantial steel plate welded on.
Thanks for the photo. It's not possible to tell how it's fixed from the other photos.
It certainly looks quite meaty.

The "D" rating which dictates what weight the lowball can pull is a very high 21 this is needed as as well as the weight of the trailer, the weight of the towing vehicle is taken into account, a 2 tonne van towing a 3.5 tonne trailer needs a rating of 12.48 but a 5 tonne van towing the same trailer needs a rating of 20.19

The set up provided would be adequate for the heaviest MAN vans at 5 tonnes with the heaviest trailer at 3.5 tonnes so it would make sense if that as used as the standard across the range.

It a bit over engineered for a GC though where the maximum towing weight is 2 tonnes.

Rockinger, the manufacturers are better known in the truck world & do things like draw bars on JCBs & agricultural equipment.

@Jester Could you please have a look at the part you have thats permanently attached to the van - there are two possible Rockinger part numbers either ROE 100B01001or ROE 100B02001are either of those showing? I could do with knowing which it is.
Get back to you soon Andy.

Will

Andy can’t see any part numbers that match yours but the plastic cover should help identify the plate permanently attached see close up photo. There is also a number on the plate looks like 12239 02A

59F0A133-1AF6-4529-ADC7-72F4F9D6B40F.jpeg

4DABC8D6-09B0-434F-A837-B3E85DBCFD0B.jpeg

33F7C151-9379-4AD0-85C5-25986954FA6C.jpeg

Hi can anyone help, I'm trying to sort out spec for GC 680 order. The factory tow bar with plate and electrics I believe is same as fixed tow bar with trailer stabilisation without the tow ball? Can anyone confirm the dealer does not know. I wanted to not order a ball which may not fit my bike rack but wanted the rest complete including trailer stabilisation function. Cheers