Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC towbar bike rack that allows rear doors to open???

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Anyone managed to find a bike rack that tilts enough to allow the rear doors to open?
Need space for 3 possibly 4 bikes. I’m looking at the Thule easyfill xt3 or velospace xt 3/4 or atera genio pro. Anyone using any of these that could advise if the doors clear the towbar locking arm and/or the rack when tilted?

I don’t yet have the towbar fitted, have the prep from factory. I was going to try and get the OEM rockinger variobloc one fitted but they don’t seem to be easily available in the UK. After market VW fit isn’t removable (without undoing 4 bolts).

I don’t yet have the towbar fitted, have the prep from factory. I was going to try and get the OEM rockinger variobloc one fitted but they don’t seem to be easily available in the UK. After market VW fit isn’t removable (without undoing 4 bolts).
The after market VW “ removable“ towbar is the same as the factory fit one, just with the Varioblock omitted. Just undo the four bolts to fit one half of the varioblock to the van instead of the tow ball & bolt the towball to the other half.
The rockinger part is about £450 I found someone in Germany selling them on ebay. If not your vw dealer should be able to get it.

Found this on YouTube looks really good!

Anyone managed to find a bike rack that tilts enough to allow the rear doors to open?
Need space for 3 possibly 4 bikes. I’m looking at the Thule easyfill xt3 or velospace xt 3/4 or atera genio pro. Anyone using any of these that could advise if the doors clear the towbar locking arm and/or the rack when tilted?

Hi,

I have the Atera strada DL4 and allows me to open de back doors of the gc600. Hope it helps you.

for info .. I have the THULE 938 VELOSPACE XT,
The door does not clear the towbar attachment.
It fouls by approx 4mm, but it's enough to stop the tailgate from opening.
(T6 with removable bar)

for info .. I have the THULE 938 VELOSPACE XT,
The door does not clear the towbar attachment.
It fouls by approx 4mm, but it's enough to stop the tailgate from opening.
(T6 with removable bar)
You might have a T6 but the person asking has a Grand California.

I have the Atera Genio Pro and it’s excellent, even with 2 heavy e-bikes aboard. Roofbox told me it will clear the Cali tailgate and indeed it did come with a tilt adaptor kit in the box to extend the tilt angle for such vehicles, but we’ve not got the Cali yet so haven’t used it on that

We asked the same question to a Thule dealer - having been suggested by VW SMG - Polar Automotive Kent Tow bars in Tonbridge & they can carry out a small modification to the Velospace XT to allow the up & over door of the T6 to clear the bikes. This is with a factory fit removable tow bar. Haven't tested the theory yet, but it's on our shopping list. :)

IMG_20230322_132358_7.jpg

The retro fit vw one is exactly the same as the factory fit but without the rockinger varioblock part. Without that the ball sits about 75mm closer to the back of the van so what works on a factory fit may not work with the retrofit.

The vario block is available in the uk but is about £600 for the parts! Farm machinery places are best source as they are quite a common fit on tractors. Also available via ebay.

Does anyone have pictures with this and a 3 bike rack installed? Also curious about the depth of this combo would add to the length of the van.

We need to carry 3 bikes- 2 leisure and 1 triathlon (for traveling to competitions). I know we could potentially carry the triathlon bike in the cargo area (not ideal- but an option)

@ksinkhernaniGC600 could you share some photos of the Atera strada DL4 installed on your GC- with doors closed and open?
Ready to pull the trigger just would love to see it on a GC.
Thank you in advance!
Diane & Marek

I have a Thule velo xt 2 bike carrier
To fit on my GC680 with factory varioblock towbar I first removed the towbar and put it on lower position - there are 6 bolt holes so two positions to fit towbar ball unit.
This allowed rear doors to just clear the locking handle on bike carrier by a few mm
Then undid the tilt restraining cables and fitted a small karabiner with washers to secure it and this allows me to unclip the cables to tilt rack back further - now the limiting factor is MTB handle bar touching the ground. I could open the drivers side rear door fully but not the passenger side unless I loosen and twist bike handlebar a bit

No photo with carrier on - but here is varioblock in lower fitting location. Now hope base of bike carrier doesn’t scrub on speed bumps
I only found cover for varioblock last week under hatch on passenger floor in tool area! Didn’t know van came with the cover - had van 4 weeks
D624B302-0E3B-4B22-ABEE-A29D9C7A7F19.jpeg

Thanks @AndrewCook680
We have had our van for 2 months this week...and are still trying to figure everything out! Our van didn't come with a bike rack so trying to find the best solution for carrying 3 bikes.

We ended up purchasing the Atera Strada DL3 and it arrived today- rear barn doors open with and without bikes on the rack- love that slide! Now we are ready to hit the road AND head to a Triathlon!!!

Hi thesquirrelpatrol
I bought at the VW dealer a bike rack for 3 bikes (Reference 3C0071105C) as my GC600 is equipped with a VW hitch
As it blocked me the opening of the rear doors, I made a spacer to offset the 15 cm hitch with a protective cover for the electrical outlet (Cost around 80 €)
I have to tip the bike rack to open the doors
Plus: No need to disassemble everything when I’m at the campsite....
If I don't use my bike rack, I have to disassemble the spacer, otherwise I have the reversing alarm ringing when the truck backs up !-)

20230723_173604.jpg

20230723_173703.jpg

20230724_105138.jpg

Back