Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing Ash tray/cup holder draw

Excellent ta :thumb

"I've had mine out a few times........Mine was easy to remove- slide out, pull upwards and outwards with force and a wiggle". :rofl

I would counsel against folk removing this ashtray assembly unless really necessary.

There are two gear wheels that serve to slow the ashtray down as you push it in. these run on an axel located on the underside of the assembly and they actually sit wider than the opening in the dash you have to pull the unit through to remove the ashtray Thus it is likely that some damage to these gears will occur whenever you remove or replace the ashtray. To minimise damage you need to remove the Ashtray at a slight angle, pulling it to the left in order to free the right hand side of the assembly first

It is a tight squeeze and it really feels like damage is being done

The left hand side of the ashtray is designed to be removed after the right hand side has been pulled out. Once you have got it out, if you insert it part way back into the runners and look from below you will see how easy it is to damage the gear wheels

I removed mine to sort out my Tom Tom cable and upon replacing it, things were very hard to slide in and out. I removed it again and did a few things that freed it up so it now behaves properly again:

1. Used a toothbrush to clean out the horizontal racks of teeth that run into the dashboard and which mesh with the two gear wheels on the underside of the ash tray
2. I similarly Cleaned out the two gear wheels, this is when I saw that removal of the ashtray is likely to cause damage as the one on the right hand side had sustained some gouging to the teeth, though this was superficial
3. I pushed the gear wheels closer together on their common axle as there was a little play left to right, I greased both bearings
4. I re-greased the gear wheels and gear racks
5. I inserted the left hand runner into the dashboard and pulled the ashtray hard to the left as I inserted the right hand side to minimise the damage done to the right hand gear wheel.

It now worked properly.

I do not want to remove it again !,!,!,!

I know this goes back to 2013 but the tip re designed to come out from left hand side is brilliant.

Back