Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing glue residue from roof tent

B

Brchtklmn12345

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all

I was in Sweden and had to protect myself from these Micro-mosquitoes that have no problem entering the tiny windows, with mosquito-net left and right in the top of the corners of my roof tent.
In order to do this I had to use Gorilla tape, since no other tape seemed to stick.
The canvas seems to be treated with some sort of coating.
Now, today I removed the tape and of course some residue was left.
Does anybody know how to safely remove this without destroying the coating of the tent?
Something tells me turpentine or thinner won’t be the best option. I also read WD40 might be an option. But just want to be sure, since I don’t know what material the tent and the coating is made of.
Gorilla isn’t too specific about the composition of the adhesive part of the tape. The most specific description I found was this: “a highly concentrated rubber-based adhesive.”

Brecht

Maybe try a citrus based adhesive residue remover. Something like Goo Gone. Bonus, it smells nice too.

Maybe it’s good to add that it concerns the roof tent of a California T6.1Coast.

I Could try a citrus based remover but in my experience these aren’t very effective, especially with such an agressive tape as Gorilla.

I Could try a citrus based remover but in my experience these aren’t very effective, especially with such an agressive tape as Gorilla.
A bit more aggressive. 3M adhesive remover. Used on sails

Thanks! But to be safe I have to be sure that the coating doesn’t come off as well. So it would also be great to know the composition of the coating of the canvas.

Thanks! But to be safe I have to be sure that the coating doesn’t come off as well. So it would also be great to know the composition of the coating of the canvas.
You could try acetone as it evaporates quickly.

Methylated spirits, isopropanol or another such alcohol should do it. Acetone may dissolve the canvas.

This is a bit of a lateral approach, but you could try gorilla tape.

You can sometime remove glue residue by dabbing the residue with the removed item.

For example when I de-badged my Ocean, I used the bits that came off to clean up - sounds odd I know. It can take several goes. Also perhaps with the use of a hairdryer.

@Victorgeorge: yes this might be the safest option. However, I tried it but with no result.
@Ting Tong: isopropanol seems a good option. If the canvas is indeed coated with teflon (it’s a 2023 roof tent) isopropanol won’t dissolve canvas nor coating.

Just an afterthought: I could’ve fixed the mosquito problem in the first place by stitching some piece of cloth with thread and needle to the mosquito net instead of using the agressive chemicals in this tape. One day I’ll be perfect .

Did you stick the tape on the inside or out? If it's inside I wouldn't worry about the coating. Some industrial wet wipes might do it

Back