Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Canvas

John

John

VIP Member
Original post biggers

Hi
New Cali owner since August. Really pleased and have had great time so far. One issue would like other owners thoughts on. The first time it rained overnight the canvas on the roof appeared to absorb the rain from the base upwards. Therefore wet to touch on the inside. You could clearly see the damp discolouration in the morning. VW garage agreed not as it should be and replaced the canvas. First time out since then -couple days in Southwold and rain overnight and same problem. Will contact garage again and see what they have to say!
What level of waterproofing should I be expecting?
Interested in more experienced users thoughts.

Original post freeley

In my experience not much!
If it rains it will get through - damp at first but in constant heavy rain we found that it started pooling inside on the "Shelf" (what used to be the roof before they cut a big hole in it).
Either way our bedding would get wet.

I suggest you invest in a vanorak as we have - it's easy to put on and takes the worry away.
For such a high cost vehicle it's disappointing that it's not waterproof already but what can you do?

Original post Calikev

I agree I was a bit disappointed the first time the roof was up in the rain on an expensive
Vehicle but 1layer of canvas is not ideal it gets wet on the outside and then when you touch
It inside it draws the water through.i am afraid it's not solely a Cali problem most people that own vans with a pop up roof suffer the same problems.only real option is the vanorak
If you think of a tent it normally has an inner tent and then a flysheet it's the flysheet that
Stops the water getting through.vanorak is the answer

Original post wingate

After 11 months of use and rain every time we go to the Lake District or Devon, we bought a Vanorak. Still rained every day last week in Devon but we were fine with the Vanorak. Keeps you warmer and insulates. Quieter also.

Original post timbatten

Having had the same problem, we tried re-proofing the canvas with the spray-on products available for canvas tents. It certainly improved the waterproofing. We then found that water only came in if you touched the canvas in the inside when it was very wet on the outside. Now we have one of the silver foil insulated covers that wraps around the canvas, and that keeps the canvas dry. We find this much easier to put on than a full Vanorak type roof cover.

Original post iane

Hi Tim

The silver foil option sounds interesting - could you provide details? If there was a web link that would be great.

Thanks

Original post Martin

We also use the silver foil option which does work very well and is easy to fit on your own.It also keeps the van nice and cool in the summer. Only negative we have found is losing your windows upstairs as it makes it very dark.

Original post alf170

Do you have contact/website details for the 'foil' please?

Original post Martin

Hi Alf, I have just had a look back and it is made by Percer and cost £175. However I can't find any trace of them online anymore.

Original post Calikev

Hi all try pucer screens vw on google I think the chaps name is Darren

Original post Martin

That's the one, I do remember he was selling them on Ebay at one point ?

Back