Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing roof bars

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Not sure if this is the right section but here goes.......
I want to take off my Thule roof bars as I've not used them in 3 years, but I have an idea that I read somewhere that plugs are needed for the screw holes, if that's right, does anyone know where I can get them from?

Hi
The normal transporter racks fit onto 10mm nuts held captive in holes in the roof. They need caps to stop water getting in.

On a Cali your roof bars should be fixed into the alloy channels on the roof with an inverted T fitting, there shouldn't be any holes left.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that - I'll hang out of the bathroom window where I can look down on the Cali and check!

I fit and remove my roof bars frequently. As said above, the Thule feet locate in the Cali roof channel, so no action on the Cali needed.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Thanks. I poked my head out of the window and looked down on my Cali and yes, the feet are in the roof channel. So it only remains to ask - how do I (or my long-suffering son-in-law) remove them from there?

There is probably a key to remove plastic covers over the feet sections.

Taking the covers off will reveal the bolts with allen key heads. It's simple once you get started.

Have fun.

Thanks. I poked my head out of the window and looked down on my Cali and yes, the feet are in the roof channel. So it only remains to ask - how do I (or my long-suffering son-in-law) remove them from there?

You need a Thule key. If you list yours, it’s easy to get another - there is a number on the lock. If you do have the key, all you need to remove the foot is a 10mm (IIRC) spanner

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com