Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing the bike rack

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I wanted to take the bike rack off, I don’t have any help and wondered if it’s something you can do yourself, and can you put it back by your self, don’t want to get it off to find I can’t get it back on by myself

Easy job for one. No weight involved just wedge the door open enough for bottom brackets to clear.
Replacing the clear plastic protectors in the right place is needed when putting it back on.
T5 specific but assume later ones are similar . Good luck!

Great thanks, do the plastic stickers on the body work stay there and remain stuck on when the Rack is taken off, or do you need to peal them off and replace them each time

If they are well applied the stickers can be left on.
Alan

Just something you may need to consider. I had my bike rack installed by a dealer (not local to me). Great job, no issues, until I wanted to remove it because I had reversed into a tree and damaged it. (Another story)
I could not shift the bottom hex socket screws so I went to another dealer (local) who informed me that the screws had been put in using Locktite! They kindly managed to shift them for me and from there all was good.
Easy job after solving the Locktite issue!
All the best.

Yep, can easily be done by 1 person. Off and back on again no problem. If you do take the stickers off I wouldn’t pay out for the VW replacement stickers at over £20 a go. Clear helicopter tape / paint protection film of a decent thickness is available by the metre on the bay, easy to cut to size and just as effective. I also stick a bit direct to the bike rack contact points / hooks as well for a bit off extra protection. Works a treat.

Last edited:
Mine has Loctite or similar on as well - anyone know the easiest way to get it off?

Mine has Loctite or similar on as well - anyone know the easiest way to get it off?
Loctite shouldn’t prevent removal of the screws, it will just take a bit more force to unstick and remove the allen bolts. I would use a socket set with the correct allen key socket and a t-bar for a bit of extra leverage. Make sure the allen key is correct seated in line with the bolt and it should shift. Once it releases it will be fine and unscrew normally. If it still wont budge and the hex head is intact you might have to use an impact driver, which would shock the bolt to turn, but I doubt that will be needed.

The allen bolts are filled with something like glue so you can't get an allen key in.

Will get a pic...