Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Repair of sliding concertina door of rear, near side cupboard

S

Stewcat

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone. I cannot trace a thread about failure of the tape attaching the plastic of the leading part of the door to the concertina door itself but sorry if it has cropped up before. We recently had a problem when a visitor pulled the door of the rear corner cupboard (above the shower) rather unsympathetically and the leading part came away. Is it just a matter of finding some Duct tape or is there a more sophisticated way of going about the repair? Thank you so much. I really love this forum which is full of useful advice. 9370BC99-576A-404A-82BB-494A8C5C2DAD.jpeg9370BC99-576A-404A-82BB-494A8C5C2DAD.jpeg9370BC99-576A-404A-82BB-494A8C5C2DAD.jpeg

I would show the bill for a new door to the unsypathetical visitor. He/she won't open that door anymore.

Noting much to do about it I think.

That is why I never let anyone use the internals of my van without me saying: watch out if you do this or that.
Or I do it for them.

This sure has been mentiont in other threads , if i’m not mistaken the clubshop @CampervanBits does sell a replacement kit.

Just check you use good quality tape. Gorilla Tape comes in a heavy duty form which is thicker and has more adhesive. Easy repair with care.

On our Ocean, we had a similar issue with a mid positioned strip of the door.

I completely removed all parts to do a repair.

I found that each strip is actually attached to the next via a thin join of the plastic i.e. the door is actually molded as a single extruded unit.

I carefully applied super glue to the seam to rejoin. Then reapplied duct tape to reinforce the joins. It has so far lasted 2 years without issue.

You can buy clear duct tape as used by VW. Or use a silver tape to match the door colour.

On our Ocean, we had a similar issue with a mid positioned strip of the door.

I completely removed all parts to do a repair.

I found that each strip is actually attached to the next via a thin join of the plastic i.e. the door is actually molded as a single extruded unit.

I carefully applied super glue to the seam to rejoin. Then reapplied duct tape to reinforce the joins. It has so far lasted 2 years without issue.

You can buy clear duct tape as used by VW. Or use a silver tape to match the door colour.
[/QUOTE

Thank you everyone for useful ideas. Will try them out and keep our visitor out of our camper van in future. Many thanks

Yes I had to do that too on the rear boot cupboard. Silver Duct Tape or Gorilla Clear tape does the job.
I now watch it slide along the track as I close it gently as the last cm has a kink in the track.
Also a bit of silicone spray in the track helps.

Back