Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Repairing torn awning 2016 Cali Thule

J

Javahart

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 102
So the inevitable happened last weekend whilst at a festival (Britfest). We managed to get the awning secured by removing the larger piece of fabric and then securing the housing with some Velcro straps (so glad I had those in the van). Rather than replace the fabric or buy a new Thule Omnistor, I decided to have a go at repairing. It’s surprisingly easy to disassemble the Thule housing and remove from the van but well worth looking at the video as this saved some time. I opted for stormsure glue and this time did a much more generous 1inch overlap seal using all 15g of glue! It takes over 12 hours to cure, so I weighted down the seal overnight and then reassembled the whole unit. So far so good and I wanted to just let people know it’s possible to do these repairs with little cost.
IMG_7380.jpeg

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7424.jpeg

IMG_7418.jpeg

IMG_7417.jpeg

IMG_7416.jpeg

IMG_7411.jpeg

So the inevitable happened last weekend whilst at a festival (Britfest). We managed to get the awning secured by removing the larger piece of fabric and then securing the housing with some Velcro straps (so glad I had those in the van). Rather than replace the fabric or buy a new Thule Omnistor, I decided to have a go at repairing. It’s surprisingly easy to disassemble the Thule housing and remove from the van but well worth looking at the video as this saved some time. I opted for stormsure glue and this time did a much more generous 1inch overlap seal using all 15g of glue! It takes over 12 hours to cure, so I weighted down the seal overnight and then reassembled the whole unit. So far so good and I wanted to just let people know it’s possible to do these repairs with little cost.
View attachment 126313

View attachment 126314

View attachment 126315

View attachment 126316

View attachment 126317

View attachment 126318

View attachment 126319
Great job.

Back