Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing a T4 Radio

Retiredron

Retiredron

VIP Member
Being a recent import the van still has the original German radio/cassette, am looking to replace with radio/single CD player with iPod connection (still have the non wireless iPod)
are there any problems with connections or opening size, do I need an adapter plate if so will it look like a pigs ear. has any one done or had done this operation, would welcome any tips or advice thanks.
Ron.

I've gone backwards! Mine came with a cheapo radio / cd / aux-in thingy that looked horrible and had virtually zero radio reception (and I like the original look).

I got the correct VW stereo cassette from ebay £30 with warranty and code, and added an aux-in kit (£30??? from ebay) which just leaves me an aux cable popping out near the steering wheel. I use it with my phone. It doesn't support anything clever...just feeds the sound to the stereo.

I was told that T4s (well the late ones) have an aerial built into the windscreen, and the stereo needs a pre-amp thingy to make the signal useful. The original stereos have this, most others don't.

Radio reception did improve after the swap (which could imply your's will worsen), but its still pretty poor on MW.

Yes there is a wire in the windscreen, I thought it was a heated screen :doh
Ron.

Don't change your plans yet. There will be some other opinions and experiences over the next 48 hours.

:thanks Thanks for your help and advice Wilupo7 have just brought of Ebay a VW gamma radio and 6 CD auto changer local to me complete with code and books, I have a small shelf under the radio where the CD will slot in. I pick it up latter today will let you know when
I fitted it, like you said this way it is all original.
Ron.

Ron - Just remembered in my failing memory that the aux-in kits I mentioned use the CD input on the back of the vw stereo, so you can have the CD or the aux-in through that port, not both.

If you need to stream music from your phone, you'll have to do it via a bluetooth kit that is able to cope with streaming.

Hope that's (a) correct and (b) helpful !

Pete

Attachments

• P1000386_zpsf0556ee5.jpg
    P1000386_zpsf0556ee5.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 2
Nice to see you still have a screw left over, as per standard maintenance practice :D

With that double DIN unit in place, how easy is it to get from the driver seat into the back? Does it get in the way at all?

Dan, its only the black bit i have fitted it clips in place of the shelf, the actual housing is already there on late T4s, as for the screw well :censor
Ron.

Back