Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing control panel facade

I

Irishladdie

VIP Member
Hi All,
I have a T5 2014 Cali and looking to replace the control panel facade due to the control button slipping. Have got the facade from the shop which is great, just building up the courage to start on the replacement. Instructions seem relatively clear. Anyone done it lately, any further tips or warnings.
Thanks

Whilst investigating the emergency roof lowering procedure i took this pic of these two tabs which baffled me for a bit...
Been flagged up on here before I'm sure.
Good luck with it!

Hi all, went to change it today. Downloaded Manual seems very straight forward. However, on removing the control panel, there are an extra two plugs in the back of the panel (circled in green) that are not mentioned in the downloaded manual (screenshot of step 9). Any advise on how to unplug? I obviously tried a little but did not want to use too much force.

Screen Shot of downloaded manual.png

Additional plugs.jpg

View attachment 44168
Whilst investigating the emergency roof lowering procedure i took this pic of these two tabs which baffled me for a bit...
Been flagged up on here before I'm sure.
Good luck with it!
Thanks Eddie, yeah, was wondering why it was only detaching on the sides (lower). Ta :)

They should just pull out
Hi Calikev, Thanks for the quick response. They "should", as in, you have managed to do that? I have given them a fair tug which suggests there is some form of securing clip (there is a small metal strip on the side)

There are video's on the wwweb showing how to take it out

Hi Calikev, Thanks for the quick response. They "should", as in, you have managed to do that? I have given them a fair tug which suggests there is some form of securing clip (there is a small metal strip on the side)
Also when you reassemble put in the smallest plug first, then the middle and finally the largest. If you don’t the Control Panel May not pick up the fact that you have the Parking Heater.

Also when you reassemble put in the smallest plug first, then the middle and finally the largest. If you don’t the Control Panel May not pick up the fact that you have the Parking Heater.
Thanks for the reminder WelshGas. Thankfully I saw that at the bottom of the instructions. Maybe something to be highlighted in RED if anyone has the master file.

There are video's on the wwweb showing how to take it out
Thanks HotelCalifornia. I also looked at the video. Neither the video or the manual shows the smaller plugs. just the largest one, where you have to move the purple clip.

Hi WelshGas, do you know if the two smaller plugs just pull out, or is there a safety clip? Certainly not easy and do I have to you use a small pliers?

Hi WelshGas, do you know if the two smaller plugs just pull out, or is there a safety clip? Certainly not easy and do I have to you use a small pliers?
I think you just squeeze the short sides together then pull, if you understand what I mean. There is normally just a little tab, like you find on an Ethernet plug into your router or pc.

Done some search on the forum , seems you need to use pliers...

Like stated above there probally is a small clip that needs pressing

give it a very short good tug. The metal clip is just to hold it in place without extra handle.

Don't pull the wires!!! They might come out.
Grasp the black housing and just tug.

Thanks All, very much appreciated. I was afraid to put too much force, but if they were meant to come out then I will get them :). Will give feedback on how I get on.

Changed mine last week, just slight leverage with pliers and they come out easily. Be careful not to break the lugs on the control panel when removing the front, I just slid some thin plastic under mine and the front came off easily. Good luck.

Changed mine last week, just slight leverage with pliers and they come out easily. Be careful not to break the lugs on the control panel when removing the front, I just slid some thin plastic under mine and the front came off easily. Good luck.
Chers KG, finally got them out. Once I had confidence that there wasn't a locking mechanism I got a small pliers on it. All good. As you say the most fiddly bit was getting the facade off. Cheers.

Back