Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing every three years...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
With the issues we've had (all dealt with very well by my local dealer), I'm wondering about replacing the Cali when the warranty is up. Anyone else do this? Weighing up the cost of a potential disaster with spending more on a new one.

I absolutely do not trust insurance...I mean insured warranties and inch and am rather annoyed that it seems the norm to have to shell out for one once the vehicle is three years old. Cars USED to just work if looked after well (which ours is) well beyond warranty time.

My warranty runs out in September and I was very tempted to replace my Cali with a brand new one but to do this it would cost me an extra £12k ( after i sold my current one) for the same spec of what I have now, so what I have decided to do is put this money in a savings account (not that it will earn much interest) and hope I dont need to dig into it too often.

Yes I've also been wondering about replacing my cali when warranty runs out. Not come to a decision though.
When I bought mine the salesman said he had a customer who replaces his cali every six months. Orders next one when when he collects one. Got to be most economical way to run a cali.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

If you really believe this then why buy one in the first place.....?

Keep it long term .......

Says a lot about VW reliability and maybe more so about their aftercare that you feel the need to change when the warranty runs out. As someone who has recently been stung by them, it did cross my mind that there may be more big bills around the corner but the cost of changing the Cali wouldn't make it financial sense. I will also be having a Cali slush fund for any future repairs and keeping the van long-term.

Sad thing is I originally bought the Cali rather than a conversion partly because I thought I would have the support of a major manufacturer if things went wrong. Starting to change my mind on that one! I see that both Wellhouse and Hyundai offer a 5-year warranty on the i800 camper conversion. Clearly they have more confidence in their product.

When I called VW to rant about all the issues we've had they said something about taking customer loyalty into consideration if things wrong out of warranty; stuff like buying from a main dealer.

Sounds a bit vague to me though and not to be relied on!

Sounds like their standard line. Their idea of loyalty appears to be at best offer to match any discount the dealer offers. Not exactly great.

I love my Cali but I now wonder if I would love a non-VW campervan just as much? I think quite possibly.

Call me an old romantic, but our Cali is *our* Cali, and has been through a lot with us. The basic spec of the back end of a campervan hasn't changed in 30 years, and the California is no exception - albeit it's a very smart variation. I know every scratch and dent on mine, inside and out, and where each happened. It's with us for the long term, God willing.

Did I kill this thread with my last comment? Didn't mean to :oops:

No I agree with you Chris mine's a keeper

image.jpg

I will keep mine for good. After kipping in it for 15 months solid though 22 countries, it would be treacherous to sell my old mate..........

Our plan is also to keep ours - at least until I am spending less time at work and more time away. Then we may get something a little bigger.

Keeping mine, no plans to change it! Ever! ...never say never?! [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

had my Split for 34 years dread to think much it cost over that time but what else is money for but for spending on stuff you like doing....
no plans to even consider selling the Cali...why change habit of a lifetime?

We're intending to keep ours for many years. I find it's faults endearing, none of us are perfect!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Back