Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing upstairs flexi-LED lamp with Loox version (not Osram)

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We have a T5.1 SE with a bendy LED lamp in the roof and no USB socket.

IMG_0371.JPG

I've seen previous posts referring to replacing it with the Osram Co-pilot with L+7 fitting. However, the Loox version has the advantage of two light levels plus two USB charging ports. There are installation instructions available, but no indication of how far apart the 4 (not 2 like the existing base) screws are, plus it also states "In order to make optimum use of the USB charging, a driver with at least 20 W must be used", whilst Amazon says "Driver NOT included".

Has anyone replaced their lamp with the Loox version at all, and if so how did it go? Is there any way of knowing what power VW driver is running the standard LED? I realise the obvious solution here is just to buy it and try it, but I'm notoriously rubbish at anything practical, so keen to learn from anyone else's experience first if possible! Many thanks.

Not done this but following. These units are designed for kitchens I think so the 'driver' would be to drop the house 240v down to 12v. Since the cali is natively 12v then no driver needed, it will be limited by the fuse on the light. 20w is less than 2 amps at 12v so I would think you are fine.

Only concern would be if the unit didn't like the charging voltage of 14.7 or whatever. Or it didn't fit :)

Looking at the installation instructions it seems that the driver is only required when connecting to mains. The website offers various size drivers I imagine for connection of multiple units.

As its Amazon you can always buy it and return if not what you need.

Thanks. Sounds like it might be worth it for the curiosity value if nothing else. I'll report back if I ever get around to doing it!

I used a rainy sunday morning in November to get the job done. This because the need for additional USB charging (ipad, e-reader) in the upper bed was high. Loox light has two USB ports in the base, so this seems a good choice. However, as the base unit is very flat, one usb port is blocked by the rail. I fixed this by putting a disk (made from mdf) in between, so both usb ports can be used.
Conclusion: everything works fine, good light, and two usb ports upstairs!521CA6C3-A4CB-44AA-B0D2-D7B4396B1A83.jpeg

Great - thanks for the info! Were there any modifications required to fit it, or did it just screw into the same place as the original?

I used a rainy sunday morning in November to get the job done. This because the need for additional USB charging (ipad, e-reader) in the upper bed was high. Loox light has two USB ports in the base, so this seems a good choice. However, as the base unit is very flat, one usb port is blocked by the rail. I fixed this by putting a disk (made from mdf) in between, so both usb ports can be used.
Conclusion: everything works fine, good light, and two usb ports upstairs!View attachment 69743
The only thing that would concern me is whether the usbs draw current all of the time and potentially flatten your battery, like leaving a cigarette lighter usb plugged in does.

Interesting to know the outcome

Great - thanks for the info! Were there any modifications required to fit it, or did it just screw into the same place as the original?
I used the existing drill-holes, and first put the mdf disk in place. Then on that disk I screwed the Loox base unit.

The only thing that would concern me is whether the usbs draw current all of the time and potentially flatten your battery, like leaving a cigarette lighter usb plugged in does.

Interesting to know the outcome
There are no lights/leds in the assembly, so for now it looks good. But I know the problem: I used to have a double cigarette lighter usb (2x2.4A) on the dashboard, which flattens the starter battery after a few days in use. Today I replaced it with another usb plug, now with an on/off switch - see picture. B812228D-4489-4F76-9F29-0B73826EA0EC.jpeg

Just a note that I did this last weekend, in a similar manner to @Hans6049. I wasn't too bothered about losing the bottom USB port since there is still one on the top. However, by the time you've put in some MDF to deal with the different length/width/location of the screws in the new light vs. the holes in the van bodywork, the new light is pushed out far enough anyway.

Hi all

I installed one of these today my in T5 Cali - however, as I connected it, the Loox unit popped and smoked and is now dead... :-(

I'm not sure if it was a faulty unit, or if I connected it wrong...

I removed the existing VW flexi light, by cutting the two wires individually;
Connected the Loox lamp using two connectors (connecting Black to Green and Red to Brown);
I did not install any driver / transformer (as its 12V DC on the van already)

Immediately after I touched the wires the Loox unit started smoking then popped.

Any ideas please?

Hi all

I installed one of these today my in T5 Cali - however, as I connected it, the Loox unit popped and smoked and is now dead... :-(

I'm not sure if it was a faulty unit, or if I connected it wrong...

I removed the existing VW flexi light, by cutting the two wires individually;
Connected the Loox lamp using two connectors (connecting Black to Green and Red to Brown);
I did not install any driver / transformer (as its 12V DC on the van already)

Immediately after I touched the wires the Loox unit started smoking then popped.

Any ideas please?
Brown is normally the Earth on a VW. Seeing as the unit has built in USB ports it is probably polarity sensitive.

Brown is normally the Earth on a VW. Seeing as the unit has built in USB ports it is probably polarity sensitive.
Damn! Thank you !

Is there any way I can be sure that brown = earth before I blow up another one?!

Has anyone managed to fit the same light on the opposite side as I have two daughters and they are arguing already who is on the side of the light
Cheers

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Back