Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replating A GC 600 3.88 to 3.5

therandman

therandman

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I'm in the process of choosing a GC 600 from the market of existing new and used vehicles. It will be a while before I can obtain a C-1 license so I need to limit myself to 3.5 tons. Is it possible, and if so what is involved, to buy a 3.88 plated 600 and make it legal for a non-C license person to drive? Thanks.

I'm in the process of choosing a GC 600 from the market of existing new and used vehicles. It will be a while before I can obtain a C-1 license so I need to limit myself to 3.5 tons. Is it possible, and if so what is involved, to buy a 3.88 plated 600 and make it legal for a non-C license person to drive? Thanks.
Your profile indicates Valentia? I suspect the requirements for doing what you ask (if possible) will vary from country to country...

Thanks. And my gut tells me that Spain would top the list of EU countries that would make the process as tortuous as possible :) I think I will limit my choices to 3.5 plated GC's...

Thanks. And my gut tells me that Spain would top the list of EU countries that would make the process as tortuous as possible :) I think I will limit my choices to 3.5 plated GC's...
Shaun from abusandbeyond done a YouTube on c1 licence maybe worth a watch. I’m one of the lucky ones with upto 7.5t older licence.

Shaun from abusandbeyond done a YouTube on c1 licence maybe worth a watch. I’m one of the lucky ones with upto 7.5t older licence.
Oh so you will have to be retested very soon then!!!

I hope not as I’m only 45 think it’s 2045!!! on licence and my van is only 3.2 :thumb

I hope not as I’m only 45 think it’s 2045!!! on licence and my van is only 3.2 :thumb
Just need a medical to keep the C1 on your licence. every 3 years with licence renewal.
Can be costly from GP's.

Just need a medical to keep the C1 on your licence. every 3 years with licence renewal.
Can be costly from GP's.
Thanks but how costly, as I’ve got another 9 years to go.

£125 last time that I paid but that was about 6 years ago for a C+E. Cost was passed on to my then business.
Haven't done one since as not driving anything that needs one now. Apparently just need a medical to get it back at anytime.

best bet is to ask an HGV driver or Company as they have sources for £40 upwards.

All GCs sold in Ireland are less than 3,500kg!!

I did have a 7.5t license until I changed to an Italian license last year, they also disallowed my truck license too as not allowed for over 60’s.

Kinda miffed as was looking at something bigger.

Sorry over 65’s

If you search on google for HGV medical there are loads of companies doing them for about £50. Had my last one in a local hotel where they had a room for the day.

These companies have cottoned on to the fact that motor home drivers make up a considerable market.
I have renewed my C1 and D1 licence three times now and have used www.d4drivers.uk each time, at a cost (last time) of £40. The examination was carried out locally in a room hired at a local Premier Inn.
I was given full details of what forms to bring etc. including details for the eyesight test. The whole process was very professional and efficient. My licence was obtained with no problems.
It is worth checking these companies out because there is at least one (doctors on wheels) that the DVLA have decided do not do a sufficiently thorough job

How does that work? You must have to run with it nearly empty or risk getting pulled
edzt
TBH I am not sure. We are new to campervans - having just sold my boat so we will wait and see. But the payload (after allowing 75kg for the driver and 20kg for water) is 256kg. Not a lot I know but we will try to travel light!!

But the payload (after allowing 75kg for the driver and 20kg for water) is 256kg. Not a lot I know but we will try to travel light!!
Payload is something that needs to be thought about carefully. By the time that you have included for one passenger and maybe a gas cylinder and jettison the water, you could be down to 160kg. Does the GC have a spare wheel? Think carefully about what you want to carry and what it weighs. My moho was 3.5 tonnes and had a theoretical payload of 520kg empty (it had been down plated from 3.8 tonnes by the first owner). I was always near the limit when I went on a long European trip. It was weighed in Austria and Bulgaria but it could happen anywhere nowadays.
If I were in this market in future I would be looking at vehicles of at least 3.8 tonnes, one of the reasons that I have kept my current licence in force.

If you have four belted seats then you have to allow for four adults 75kg each. Sometimes the drivers weight is already included, if it is you still need to add 225kg. This has to be taken into account by manufacturers now.

Back