Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit VW reversing camera recommendation

P

Portland

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I thought this might be of interest to owners who are thinking of installing a reversing camera and are living in the NE of England. I purchased my T6 Ocean in November from dealer stock and unfortunately none of the vehicles had a reversing camera listed in their specifications. I was put off by the high price of retrofitting a genuine camera into the head unit and was thinking of other options until my garage recommended local auto electrician Cundy Cross, which is based just outside Hexham https://www.facebook.com/cundycrossofhexham/photos/?ref=page_internal
John fitted a VW 16.5 reversing camera wired to the head unit for £433. The camera is just above the registration plate and he has done a very neat job. The camera comes on as soon as reverse gear is chosen and the sensor diagram overlay is activated by waving your hand near the screen. The price is a lot less than the £600-700 I have seen quoted elsewhere and will pay for itself if it only prevents one rear collision!

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

Thinking of having this done soon and given the prices elsewhere I am very tempted to give John a go. How has it performed since you have had it and does the overlay track the wheels when you move?

Many thanks

Scoobz

I am delighted with the camera as it gives me complete confidence when reversing. It takes a second for the image to appear on the screen when vehicle is put into reverse. There is the VW overlay of the car sensor alarms and lines to show the remaining safe space to reverse into. The one thing it doesn’t have is the overlay of the wheel direction.
Duncan

Will have to work a trip in up your way and try and fit it in ! Thanks Scoobz

If you wanted something cheaper and quicker to fit, I bought the AUTO-VOX solar reversing camera and it has been excellent...Got it on a lightning deal from Amazon..about £90
no wiring from camera to van, screen obviously needs a power feed.
screen showing on right hand side...central screen is an old Tesco Hudl running Sygic as a satnav.

6A680319-A39F-439A-916B-22BC516503F4.jpeg

How long have you been running it and where do you install the solar panel

Nearly 1year and haven't had to charge it up via usb yet as solar seems to keep enough power to camera. The panel and the camera are both fitted to the rear numer plate or to the van with heavy duty sticky..The screen mounts anywhere you can and has a remote button for activation as well.

Photo

A053F747-FE50-47D7-978F-979560147D9C.png

D9455180-742F-4BEB-BE6B-512DE74EF744.png

Thanks for all the info and pics. Is your van an everyday one ?

Thanks for all the info and pics. Is your van an everyday one ?
Yes, everyday drive although less used during essential travel only

Yes, everyday drive although less used during essential travel only
Usually bumble down to Spain through France using Aires and Eurotunnel because of our dog...checking out the AHC certificate as UK pet passport not valid now, however Spanish one is....