Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reversed polarity on the 230V socket

The answer to this recurring thread is simple.

The double pole RCD as fitted in the Cali covers the reverse polarity issue.

End of !
So, if I install a double pole RCD as the incomer to my house I can install all of my switches in the neutral conductor?

No because you'd be contravening the wiring regulations.

If your home is connected to a TT earthing system then you will have a front end double pole RCD (or you should have).

As you probably know, any TT earthed supply such as a caravan hook up requires double pole isolation on all sockets.

Any faults within the Cali will be cleared regardless of polarity.

Switching neutrals as the live conductor also contravenes regulations and could mean a toaster element for example is live all the time but only heats up when you turn on the switch, not much help when you stick a knife in to dig your crumpet out.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Switching neutrals as the live conductor also contravenes regulations and could mean a toaster element for example is live all the time but only heats up when you turn on the switch, not much help when you stick a knife in to dig your crumpet out.
Perfect example. I acknowledge that the RCD will stop you getting fried but it is a long way from being best practice or sensible to accept a reverse polarity scenario.

The original poster was concerned that there may be a polarity error in their van. If there is then it should be rectified. End of !

Being new to hook-ups it hadn't occurred to me that reverse polarity in camp-site supplies is common. Having learned that it is I shall be making myself up a polarity cross-over lead to use in such occasions.

Perfect example. I acknowledge that the RCD will stop you getting fried but it is a long way from being best practice or sensible to accept a reverse polarity scenario.

The original poster was concerned that there may be a polarity error in their van. If there is then it should be rectified. End of !

Being new to hook-ups it hadn't occurred to me that reverse polarity in camp-site supplies is common. Having learned that it is I shall be making myself up a polarity cross-over lead to use in such occasions.
Welsh Gas Posted this link and and i bought one which has been delivered. Good quality with tester.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hook-Up-P...9255-0%26rvr_id%3D1013248699450&ul_noapp=true

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Back