Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Since the charger unit was replaced under warranty my Cali has reverse polarity

I

Isa Neal

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi need a bit of help. My 2014 Cali stopped charging on hookup and the dealership,put in a new charging unit under warranty. My Cali now charges on hook up,UK and Europe. However in the UK I now have reverse polarity when tested in the usual way on the 13 amp plug socket on the side of the kitchen unit whilst on hook up. Less,of a problem in Europe as many sites reversed polarity themselves so it evens out. The dealership are unable to,explain why this has happened as they’ve used a new VW charger so,it should,all,be the same as before-but it isn’t ! any suggestions ? The warranty expires later this month.

Hi need a bit of help. My 2014 Cali stopped charging on hookup and the dealership,put in a new charging unit under warranty. My Cali now charges on hook up,UK and Europe. However in the UK I now have reverse polarity when tested in the usual way on the 13 amp plug socket on the side of the kitchen unit whilst on hook up. Less,of a problem in Europe as many sites reversed polarity themselves so it evens out. The dealership are unable to,explain why this has happened as they’ve used a new VW charger so,it should,all,be the same as before-but it isn’t ! any suggestions ? The warranty expires later this month.
Did it show reversed polarity on that socket before the Charger was replaced?

No it was completely normal before the charger unit was replaced.Mine had to be replaced because the 2 amp,fuse in it had blown and VW don’t have a back order for 2 amp fuses so SMG had to replace the whole unit to comply with them3 year warranty - since then even at home in UK I get reverse polarity showing.....SMG unable to explain why there’s a change

No it was completely normal before the charger unit was replaced.Mine had to be replaced because the 2 amp,fuse in it had blown and VW don’t have a back order for 2 amp fuses so SMG had to replace the whole unit to comply with them3 year warranty - since then even at home in UK I get reverse polarity showing.....SMG unable to explain why there’s a change
I cannot explain it either, as all they probably did was just swap out the Charger unit, I hope.
The 240v Mains comes in at the Rear Flap Socket to the RCD circuit Breaker and 2 leads go from that , 1 to the Kitchen Mains Socket and 1 to the Charger. I don’t see SMG fiddling with any of that.
Anyway, it is SMG’s or ultimately VWUK to sort this problem out and SMG’s response is unacceptable. They should get someone who can explain and fix it.
Back to SMG and if you don’t get a satisfactory response then phone VW Customer Service.

I cannot explain it either, as all they probably did was just swap out the Charger unit, I hope.
The 240v Mains comes in at the Rear Flap Socket to the RCD circuit Breaker and 2 leads go from that , 1 to the Kitchen Mains Socket and 1 to the Charger. I don’t see SMG fiddling with any of that.
Anyway, it is SMG’s or ultimately VWUK to sort this problem out and SMG’s response is unacceptable. They should get someone who can explain and fix it.
Back to SMG and if you don’t get a satisfactory response then phone VW Customer Service.

Just a thought. Whatever you use to check for Reversed Polarity, have you checked a Mains Socket in the house with it? Could it be faulty?

Yes I’ve tried the mains sockets at home and in other uk places eg hotels with my reverse polarity checker plug and it gives the correct results. So,it’s just the Cali that is an issue now, it was ok before but not after they changed the charger unit........ and it’s ok on European campsites where others find they have reverse polarity!!
Unfortunately I want to use it in the UK for several months and would prefer to have it right before the warranty expires.....

Thank you All! It’s going in to SMG on 16th for its MOT and pre end of warranty check, I’ll bring it up with them again!

Back