Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ride quality on different size alloys ?

Jaydub

Jaydub

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So our new Beach is due in a few weeks,we ordered what we needed from the factory planing on a few upgrades afterwards.The standard 16" alloys will be ditched in favour of some bi colour or black alloys. After looking round the NEC this weekend for ideas I noticed lots of conversions had 20" alloys which look great but the ride must be hard. So has anyone upgraded to 18" or 20" alloys and if so their thoughts on what difference it made to ride quality and road noise from the low profile tyres.

18"x 8" running 235/50/18 with -30mm springs looks good and nice ride you could go sportline size tyre 255 but i dont want premiture steering pump wear just my opinion if i could work out how to post pics i would need to get my better half on the case :thumb

A chap that I work with has put 20" wheels on his (very nice) T5 van but is running 60% tyres. It looks great and he reckons the ride is much better than on lower profile tyres.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I've just swapped mine over to 20x8.5 on the fronts and 20x10 on the rear with 245.40.20 on the front and 275.35.20 on the back the ride is very good and I have also lowered it 70mm

Would it be useful to separate talk of 'ride' from perhaps 'handling'. I can appreciate a Cali on 20" 35 profile tyres may 'handle' well, I doubt it is going to 'ride' well (over pot holes etc).