Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Good, The Bad and The Start Stop

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
So after a few days driving round, Betty has lived up to the expectation of being truly multi purpose. No camping trips as such, though my dad spent a night sleeping in her.

What's good? I like the individuality - i like having something that is a bit different, not just as vehicle but as a VW. I like the practicality of the Beach, there is a lot of thought got into it. It's actually, even on the Beach, good fun to set it up. There is no doubt driving the Beach puts a smile on your face. And the driving experience is actually quite good, the 115bhp engine takes a while to wind up, but the steering has a surprising amount of feel and it feels quite nimble. You're high up, which round here is a blessing, it helps to deal with idiots, in particular those who either brake to turn left suddenly or somehow feel indicating should be a last minute thing. The Van is comfortable, there's lots of space around the driver.

What am I not so keen on, not much, and nothing that has come as a surprise. Plastics are not fantastic and the detail can be lacking but this is based upon a Van. Some of the very intuitive controls I had in my Volvo which was something of a genius at having the switches in the right places. And nothing will match the comfort of the Volvo seats :).

And then there is the start stop... Aside from creating obvious tension from those inside when you come to a stop and the van switches itself off, what else does it achieve? I am using it to see what it does achieve. It is a strange sensation to be sat lights with the engine not running. What are other people's opinion on the Start/Stop?

The wheels on the Bluemotion could be bigger - I actually don't like big wheels on vans, but they are tiny on the Bluemotion and whilst I realise they are part of the 'eco package' - a set of bi colour Dakars - Thunder Alloys - or some Borbets would look much bettet, again any thoughts on this? Would they really make much difference to the fuel economy?

James

I've got stop/start on my blue motion golf. I got used to it after about 3 stops. I do sometimes see sniggers at crossings where people think I've stalled it!

Had stop/start on our old Mini and didn't notice it in the end.

I remember picking up an A8 as a loaner whilst mine was in for service. Did realise it had SS and as I pulled up at the junction it cut out. Confused I thought I'd either stalled it or ran out of diesel.

I've had a couple of loaners since that have it, including a Q7 and I'm still not a fan to be honest.

As others say the look on peoples faces when you pull up and they think you've stalled. :rofl

I have found it takes a bit. Of getting used to. I've also found it needs a bit. Of common sense, and awareness of what the traffic is likely to do. In town, where I know the lights are on a long change, then I will use it. On the other hand for creeping traffic on the M25 it is not really appropriate.

We have had Prius cars fr years as well as the new Cali, you'll get used to the stop start, BUT pedestrians don't! Watch it they just walk out in front of you they don't notice the vehicle if they can't hear it. Enjoy the new van sounds wonderful.

Isa Neal said:
We have had Prius cars fr years as well as the new Cali, you'll get used to the stop start, BUT pedestrians don't! Watch it they just walk out in front of you they don't notice the vehicle if they can't hear it. Enjoy the new van sounds wonderful.

Thank you - I notice it doesn't always work with the aircon on - I had heard that and it makes sense.

I am really enjoying the van - it has a feel good factor about it which is hard to describe - it's more than a match for many classic VW vans with the added benefit of being modern to drive and run.

The bluemotion engine can take some getting going but the van cruises well. I like the red on the instruments at night - looks very classy - the devil is always in the detail and along with the california lighting up in blue on the kick plates it looks really nice.

James

Back