Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ridge Monkey type/Size?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi
really keen to get a ridge monkey for our new Cali. Not sure if there are more than one or two sizes/types available. Is the one on sale at the shop the biggest and most suitable? I would imagine so, but note a slight variance in labelling, can someone confirm optimum purchase please.
thanks

Go for a XL size. That’s the largest and still quite small but perfect for your burner. Love mine. Was using it yesterday morning. Remember to keep on medium heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
really keen to get a ridge monkey for our new Cali. Not sure if there are more than one or two sizes/types available. Is the one on sale at the shop the biggest and most suitable? I would imagine so, but note a slight variance in labelling, can someone confirm optimum purchase please.
thanks

As far as I know there are only two types, the larger, compartmented, one and the smaller one the footprint size of a small size of bread.

I have had both and now only use the small size (one mostly, max 2 people when camping) which does me nicely. Also being mechanically and diagrammatically challenged (to say the least) I also struggle to put the big one back together again when it decides to separate.

ok thats what i thought. thanks
As far as I know there are only two types, the larger, compartmented, one and the smaller one the footprint size of a small size of bread.

I have had both and now only use the small size (one mostly, max 2 people when camping) which does me nicely. Also being mechanically and diagrammatically challenged (to say the least) I also struggle to put the big one back together again when it decides to separate.
ok thats as i thought. thanks.

XL is just right for two. Cooked in it this morning.

We only sell the XL in the shop as we found the as small one a bit too small even for one person. At the moment we are bundling them with a Gorilla case for an extra couple of quid.

The older design with fixed handles is difficult to store because it’s bulky.

The newer “connect” design is easy to store because it all comes apart. The problem is ... if you’re not careful, it comes apart in the middle of cooking breakfast and is a bit of a dog to put back together in mid-cook.

After a while, you develop a technique for opening it a certain way to keep it together.

We have two of the original fixed handle about the size of a slice of bread in zipped cases. We don’t find this model difficult to store, it easily fits in the back of the kitchen cupboard for storage.

Last edited:
We have two of the original fixed handle about the size of a slice of bread in zipped cases. We don’t find this model diddicult to store, it easily sits in the back if a cupboard for storage.
Same here we have had the older model fixed handle for a couple of years no problems to store, love it

They don’t do the compartmentalised one now and the XL one (which doesn’t have compartments) is about 8 x 8 inches and is the one to get.

We have the XL size, no compartments. It’s great for toastie sandwich or doing toast without using a toaster, omelette etc. Really only big enough for one large portion but great bit of kit. Wouldn’t be without ours.

The small one fits nicely in the bottom drawer of a 3 seat bench :) all are good, Amazing things!! Crossiants!! The smell when you open up the lid is to die for!!

We have one with compartments and a small one for toastie. Best Buy ever, would not be without them .toastie has utensils inside as well .IMG_4843.PNG

Last edited:
We've recently got the XL size one, with the removable handles. Have made many cheeses toasties now, and also reheated BBQ leftovers on our last trip. Excellent for both, and highly recommended.

Try American Pancakes. Pre mix the ingredients and away you go ..... makes tossing pancakes a doddle!

Also using the XL. Perfect! My wife came up with idea of ‘almost-calzones’; got an M&S pizza, cut it in half, added extra cheese and herbs to one half then flipped one half on top of the other, cut that in half, so it’s essentially 1/4 pizza which fits perfectly in the XL, then cook on medium heat on each side, Flipping occasionally. Used Bernolli spray oil. Came out brilliant! Very yummy! We also got the one that’s a pot and a lid that’s a grill, as the lid works with the XL, should you want to make a panini.

Thinking of picking one of these up, burning (lol) question is: Do they make a decent fist of normal toast? I’ve used those toasting racks that go on the gas flame and while ok, I do most of my cooking on a coleman petrol stove and nobody wants benzine flavoured toast…

Thinking of picking one of these up, burning (lol) question is: Do they make a decent fist of normal toast? I’ve used those toasting racks that go on the gas flame and while ok, I do most of my cooking on a coleman petrol stove and nobody wants benzine flavoured toast…
Yes, toast works very well.

Definitely, we use ours mainly for toast having toyed with various camping toasting devices.

I'm lost as to which one to get and can't seem to find a definitive list of products: Xl, classic, connect compact...

Don't suppose anyone knows if these are all the same by different names and if not which would be the best for doing ham and cheese toasties?

The compartmentalised one looks good for a fry up as well but I don't think they do that one anymore??

Help please :)

Back