RNS510 Map Updates

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Map Update DVD ver 14 has just been released.

Yes, but it's coming by post as the UK stock is in transit.

Silly question , my rns510 has not been updated since new 2013,
Can I install latest update and all will be updated?
Thanks Tony
The Map Data would be.
VW only recommend a firmware/software update if you are having problems with the SatNav/Radio or Media player.

Just loaded V14. Not much difference so far except locally it shows footpaths as roads. However they are grey so hopefully it won't try to route down them or it could prove interesting. We went "offroad" last weekend coming off the A1 at Leeming Bar so it will be a test to see if that has been updated.

Tony. Be careful updating firmware. It needs to be the correct version for the type of RNS you have. Trying to update to the latest firmware on an older model could well make it unusable. As WG says, if it aint broke dont fix it.

That's good info Andy.
I didn't know there is a method for loading the maps from SD cards.
Personally I've never had a problem updating firmware or maps and have been doing it for about ten years now but the forums do tell some sorry tales.
Bit scary for the first time as it took about two hours to update the firmware the first time I did it. Company car as well so would have been a big problem if it had gone wrong.

briwy
Yes is a tad nerve wracking the first time you do it ! Also been doing it for years also without problem. Been looking for the site I got last map update from but can't find it doh !!
My RNS is on fw 4020 which would seem to be very old now, but am not in a hurry to update it unless there are good reasons to do so. Is always a chance things can go wrong. Learnt that the hard way when working in IT.

Just checked our "offroad" bit from last weekend with the v14 map. This new bit of road not on so the maps must be at least a year old. As mentioned before normally takes 12-18 months to get them published.
Google maps does show it though.

Could someone remind me how to check the version number? Mine was supposed to be updated today (while it was having an EGR valve replacement, eek, 180 2014 engine 60k) but I'm unsure how to check the version.

Hold down the setup button and wait for the second menu.
You can then then get the version from in there.

Thanks for the help. What I see from this is (amongst other info)
Map version HDD 7918. So does this equate to a v14?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much; so clearly ours was not updated. At least not to v14. But I wonder- is there a link to a post or site that explains the relationship between the version numbers and the issue 12/13/14 etc. Do some of the numbers refer to firmware rather than map version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ebb5507e46e49766523a8b0f3346b718.jpg

Just updated my FW in my 2010 unit to 5238, plus maps update from V7 to V14. See photo.