Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road trip to Arctic Circle - which tyres

AGuest

AGuest

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,
We are a 2011 California SE - we are planning on an adventure in February, driving to the Arctic Circle. We have been looking at tyres but not sure whether we want snow or all terrain.
Has anyone else done this trip and can anyone advise.

Definitely snow.

All terrain tend to be a compromise for offroad 4x4 use as an all year tyre.

Scandanavian Members will give more Brand specific info.

Hi all,
We are a 2011 California SE - we are planning on an adventure in February, driving to the Arctic Circle. We have been looking at tyres but not sure whether we want snow or all terrain.
Has anyone else done this trip and can anyone advise.
NB. Winter tyres are mandatory in Sweden and some other EU countries.

Just returned from Norway, all the way to Nordkapp. Also visited the artic circle. Some of the higher reaches and shaded areas (microclimates), the road was slushy in the mornings. Would only go with winter tyres. Have heard that the Norwegians are very prompt on clearing up the main roads so winter tyres would be the best and recommended.

We have the Nokian Nokian WR SUV 4 - 235/55 R17 103H XL Winter tyres on and they have performed brilliant. Have tested them in snow and they are brilliant and confidence inspiring. They are highly rated by the locals as well and hence went for them.

As others have mentioned, all terrains are a compromise.

Just returned from Norway, all the way to Nordkapp. Also visited the artic circle. Some of the higher reaches and shaded areas (microclimates), the road was slushy in the mornings. Would only go with winter tyres. Have heard that the Norwegians are very prompt on clearing up the main roads so winter tyres would be the best and recommended.

We have the Nokian Nokian WR SUV 4 - 235/55 R17 103H XL Winter tyres on and they have performed brilliant. Have tested them in snow and they are brilliant and confidence inspiring. They are highly rated by the locals as well and hence went for them.

As others have mentioned, all terrains are a compromise.
How long did you take for the trip and anywhere you'd recommend/not recommend to go?

Hello,

At the end of May next year we leave for Scandinavia going up north through Norway up to the Northcap and back down south through Finland.

It is a bit early in the year, but still hoping the roads will be fine. At the moment we have the standard tyres that come with the GC 600. I was hoping they will be sufficant.

Only if they are worn down I plan to change them to Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. As all season tyres and for light offroad (gravel roads) I expect they will do very well.

A change of tyres (especially if the original tyres are as good as new) is not on the agenda, especially that the set and change will cost about EUR 1,000.

For people with more experience do you think that my train of thoughts is ok?

Almost Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

I’ve driven round the northern parts of Finland in February a few times in hire cars.

I would suggest full winters are an absolute minimum and studs would be advisable.
More of an issue could be stopping the engine oil turning to treacle. You either need an ancillary engine heater going or leave the engine running.
We were always up near Kittila airport, warmest day I’ve ever had up there in Feb is something like minus 10 degrees, coldest week we had 1st week in feb it didn’t get above minus 29 at any point.

I’ve driven round the northern parts of Finland in February a few times in hire cars.

I would suggest full winters are an absolute minimum and studs would be advisable.
More of an issue could be stopping the engine oil turning to treacle. You either need an ancillary engine heater going or leave the engine running.
We were always up near Kittila airport, warmest day I’ve ever had up there in Feb is something like minus 10 degrees, coldest week we had 1st week in feb it didn’t get above minus 29 at any point.
Thanks, we need to look at the different winter ones, I suppose the thing is we are driving from Hampshire so would there be an issue driving on studs all that way before hitting the snow?

Thanks, we need to look at the different winter ones, I suppose the thing is we are driving from Hampshire so would there be an issue driving on studs all that way before hitting the snow?
IMO studs tyres are not allowed in UK

Hello,

At the end of May next year we leave for Scandinavia going up north through Norway up to the Northcap and back down south through Finland.

It is a bit early in the year, but still hoping the roads will be fine. At the moment we have the standard tyres that come with the GC 600. I was hoping they will be sufficant.

Only if they are worn down I plan to change them to Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. As all season tyres and for light offroad (gravel roads) I expect they will do very well.

A change of tyres (especially if the original tyres are as good as new) is not on the agenda, especially that the set and change will cost about EUR 1,000.

Eberhard
Been to Norway and Sweden 3 times so far as far as Nordkapp in May. Used All Season tyres , no problem anywhere. All roads clear.

Just do google for average temperatures along your route.
In Kittila the average in May is 20 degrees higher than February.
The roads may be clear in May, in February one of the major hazards on the skidoo is hitting the tops of lamposts that are sticking afoot above the level of the snow. The road surface was about 4m down.

Hello,

Eberhard

We did Denmark, Sweden and Norway to Nordkapp, then Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland between early June and August 2017 on summer tires. No problems anywhere. Keep chains under the driver’s seat for emergencies.

We did Denmark, Sweden and Norway to Nordkapp, then Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland between early June and August 2017 on summer tires. No problems anywhere. Keep chains under the driver’s seat for emergencies.
The OP is planning a trip in February! Not the same conditions as in June or August.

Go for good winter tyres and bring snow chains for eventualities. Most main roads are maintained well, secondary roads less so, and you may need chains there. With the combi, you will be OK.
You may try and get Scandinavian brands like Nokian, they have even softer winter tyres than most other EU brands.

Studs are difficult to get. Some years ago one could rent them from Norwegian tyre shops for the time of your holiday, but you won’t find that service anywhere anymore, nowadays.

You can’t get studs at home, probably, and even if you could, you would not be allowed to drive them through BE, NL, DE or DK. There exists a solution with screw-in studs, that you can add to your winter tyres entering Norway and remove when exiting, but they are expensive and cumbersome. And even then, you are not allowed to drive studs into Oslo and several other cities.

Go for the winters and chains combi!

You need to be very prepared for Norway in February (mid winter). It’ll be dark all day too.

This is my 7th trip in the area, Finnmark, and to the North Cape. As I write we are in Alta and it has been snowing and melting, some snow around still. The nights always freeze up at the moment.
I'm using, as I did in 2018 GoodYear Vector 3, well in 2018 they were generation 2. In 2018 we met wintery conditions and the tyres were extremely good, never an issue, even on some icy slopes. However there is no doubt they are not as good as studded tyres for braking and cornering. The previous 5 occasions when we hired cars we always had studded tyres.
My thoughts are the mountain symbol all season tyres are fine for the start of winter, like now but in deep winter when there only a bed of thick sheet ice under the snow I'd like to use studded tyres. From January or even December in some parts to March up here the roads are like this.
My solution for the future will be to keep a set of studded tyres here for the real winter conditions and in the future arrive and go from here, carefully in the best 4 season tyres, like Continental or Good Year, both of which have excellent snow performance, similar to many winter tyres, but that said the tread needs to be around 5mm or more to be most effective on snow.
Keeping tyres here in Scandinavia is easy because you can use a tyre hotel. The cost is around 100 euro a year.
Finally most important with all the tyres is to change your driving style, every corner or junction requires great care.

We do agree with @Niborn that to have your own set of studded tyres is ideal, but if one is not over there every winter, it is hardly cost effective (understatement, irony filter on!).
Renting them is no longer an option, we found. So next best, for a one-off trip, is the winters/chains combi, in hour honest opinion...

Sounds fascinating but the weather is truly extreme. We visited arctic Finland in February 2012 - by plane not by road. It was -15 during the day and as low as -40 overnight. As far as we could see, any car left outside either had to have its engine running or be plugged in to an electric outlet to run its onboard engine heater. If not it froze. This had happened to one of the guys driving us around, whose car had broken down a few before, and he pointed out his abandoned car by the side of the road. He reckoned it wouldn’t move until May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly, most all terrain tyres are pretty poor in very cold conditions because they don't have enough sipes or soft enough rubber. They might be alright in deep snow but would suck on ice. Most people up here don't use "european" winter tyres but nordic ones, which have an even softer compound, more sipes and even some special gritty stuff in the rubber. The standard european winter tyres are designed more for going through warmer heavier slushy snow, whereas the nordic ones work better on ice. Studded tyres of course work the best on ice but there is no way you would want to drive all that way from the UK on them even if it were legal. They have a lower speed limit too.

I did my first winter here on Nokian hakkapaliita CR3 which are the nordic non studded tyres, they were loads better than normal winter tyres I'd used in the alps, even on roads that I had trouble walking on without falling over. I'd also driven them back to the UK and they handled alright in warmer wet conditions and the wear was good too. You definitely notice them squirm in the corners though when it gets warmer. If there is a one tyre does it all option for this trip, that is it. Normal all season tyres will be no good in the winter up north, the norwegian garages only sell them as summer tyres.

Unfortunately though I still had a crash with those CR3s on, going along a perfectly straight road at 40 mph, and a slight change in camber sent me off sideways. Luckily there was no one coming the other way and the damage was minor, but I'm not taking my chances again so it's studs for me from now on. Generally the roads are really well cleared and gritted here, but the one time that they aren't, or a giant moose walks out in front of you (happens quite a lot) and a swift end to your road trip could be the least of your worries.

I live in Oslo and would be happy to store some wheels for you if you wanted to swap over en route to studs, otherwise pretty much all garages here have a tyre hotel where you can pay to store your wheels. You would normally be fine driving up to norway on decent commercial tyres with plenty of tread, but bear in mind that soon you can be fined in germany for not having at least all season tyres with the 3 peak snowflake sign on them in the conditions are "wintery". There are normally plenty of part worn studded wheel sets going on Norway's equivalent of ebay, finn.no just search for vw t5 pigg. Give me a shout if you need help with that.

With regards to starting a cold temps, I've started a 2.5 T5 in -28 without a heater, I've heard people saying they have managed in -35 with a bit of effort. The main problems I've had in the past are with the diesel gelling in the alps, but up here the diesel is always good for down to at least -32 for the period that you would be here, regardless of where you buy it from. I also installed a oil sump silicon heater pad on that 2.5 using aluminium epoxy (make sure you insulate the other side with soldering mats or something or it will burn the sump cover) and it would start in those temps on the button, but you need somewhere to plug it in. My 2.0 t5.1 that replaced it comes with a webasto engine heater like most of the vans here, which is awesome, but probably a bit much for one trip!

Firstly, most all terrain tyres are pretty poor in very cold conditions because they don't have enough sipes or soft enough rubber. They might be alright in deep snow but would suck on ice. Most people up here don't use "european" winter tyres but nordic ones, which have an even softer compound, more sipes and even some special gritty stuff in the rubber. The standard european winter tyres are designed more for going through warmer heavier slushy snow, whereas the nordic ones work better on ice. Studded tyres of course work the best on ice but there is no way you would want to drive all that way from the UK on them even if it were legal. They have a lower speed limit too.

I did my first winter here on Nokian hakkapaliita CR3 which are the nordic non studded tyres, they were loads better than normal winter tyres I'd used in the alps, even on roads that I had trouble walking on without falling over. I'd also driven them back to the UK and they handled alright in warmer wet conditions and the wear was good too. You definitely notice them squirm in the corners though when it gets warmer. If there is a one tyre does it all option for this trip, that is it. Normal all season tyres will be no good in the winter up north, the norwegian garages only sell them as summer tyres.

Unfortunately though I still had a crash with those CR3s on, going along a perfectly straight road at 40 mph, and a slight change in camber sent me off sideways. Luckily there was no one coming the other way and the damage was minor, but I'm not taking my chances again so it's studs for me from now on. Generally the roads are really well cleared and gritted here, but the one time that they aren't, or a giant moose walks out in front of you (happens quite a lot) and a swift end to your road trip could be the least of your worries.

I live in Oslo and would be happy to store some wheels for you if you wanted to swap over en route to studs, otherwise pretty much all garages here have a tyre hotel where you can pay to store your wheels. You would normally be fine driving up to norway on decent commercial tyres with plenty of tread, but bear in mind that soon you can be fined in germany for not having at least all season tyres with the 3 peak snowflake sign on them in the conditions are "wintery". There are normally plenty of part worn studded wheel sets going on Norway's equivalent of ebay, finn.no just search for vw t5 pigg. Give me a shout if you need help with that.

With regards to starting a cold temps, I've started a 2.5 T5 in -28 without a heater, I've heard people saying they have managed in -35 with a bit of effort. The main problems I've had in the past are with the diesel gelling in the alps, but up here the diesel is always good for down to at least -32 for the period that you would be here, regardless of where you buy it from. I also installed a oil sump silicon heater pad on that 2.5 using aluminium epoxy (make sure you insulate the other side with soldering mats or something or it will burn the sump cover) and it would start in those temps on the button, but you need somewhere to plug it in. My 2.0 t5.1 that replaced it comes with a webasto engine heater like most of the vans here, which is awesome, but probably a bit much for one trip!
Great summary and details plus the idea of having a set of studded tyres in Norway is the way forward to drive here in real winter. Bear in mind it's not legal to use Studs before October 16th, I think, in North Norway....

The winter tyres fitted by a VW dealer for my old van were:
General Eurovan Winters, Size is 215/65/r16c 109/107 load rating
These had the stud holes already & studs are cheap & easy to fit.

I would be considering a set of studdable tyres like these & take a bag of studs to put in when further north, remove the studs when coming further south.

Back