Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road trip to Arctic Circle - which tyres

Tyres would be the least of your problems touring in February in Northern Scandinavia.

Tyres would be the least of your problems touring in February in Northern Scandinavia.
Theres only diesel freezing, water freezing, pop top freezing, gas freezing, toilet freezing, locks freezing, condensation freezing, your hands freezing to any metal part of the van that you touch, the occupants freezing to consider, other than that its really just boredom in the 19 hours of dark a day & the 5 hours of daylight looking at fir trees & snow through the grey twilight.

Its the only place Ive been where they throw you into a bar if you are drunk rather than kicking you out. Thats on the basis that you would be dead by morning if you are not indoors.

Anyone who is even thinking of camping that far North in Winter need certifying, in case I didn't mention it before its freezing!

Theres only diesel freezing, water freezing, pop top freezing, gas freezing, toilet freezing, locks freezing, condensation freezing, your hands freezing to any metal part of the van that you touch, the occupants freezing to consider, other than that its really just boredom in the 19 hours of dark a day & the 5 hours of daylight looking at fir trees & snow through the grey twilight.

Its the only place Ive been where they throw you into a bar if you are drunk rather than kicking you out. Thats on the basis that you would be dead by morning if you are not indoors.

Anyone who is even thinking of camping that far North in Winter need certifying, in case I didn't mention it before its freezing!
Very funny

Here is the actual reality for today and this week... Its about 4 degrees today in Alta , its raining all the snow has gone, its going to be colder later in the week here about minus 10 in the night. We are leaving tomorrow and driving the 3 or 4 hours, to the North Cape. Strangely it is going to be warmer this week in the North Cape, around 2 degrees and zero to. Minus 2 or 3 at night. I've left the heater on the cali on programme for 4 half hour bursts this last week level one, even when it was colder last week, nothing was frozen in the cali, not even the outside. I've no worry about anything freezing at the moment. Certainly not freezing fuel.
This time of year is very different to say February.
As I see it next week won't be any difference from driving in a MID winters day in South East UK. I don't have any issues driving with the Vector 3, but it would be nice to have studs now, certainly it would feel good but I'm pretty certain in the present driving light winter conditions driving style is more important than having studs or not.
Here people are already taking great care how they drive. Not every one has studs yet, the people we are staying with, born here, have not switched yet for example. But they will and they store their other tyres in a tyre hotel, it cost 100 euro a year to store and change the tyres twice, for each season, sounds like a bargain to me.
Next week week for a few weeks we will be in Finland, it will be getting colder and more snow. I'll post to say how it is as it happens. I think with the snowy weather, winter approved tyres will work well on snow, as they did last time for me. On snow the studs make almost zero difference, there is plenty of studies about that. I'll worry and of course be super careful if it gets very icy and roads are not gritted. Definitely won't travel very early in the morning in these conditions.
If it gets very cold next week I'll probably empty both the water tanks, just do I dont have to think and stress about freezing water... Although with the heater on I doubt that would happen.
When it gets very cold up here we don't stay in the Cali, we've booked lodges for the next two weeks and presently in Alta we are staying with friends. It's not just being cold in the Cali but the winds upstairs can be severe, difficult to sleep, also as we are with our dog, who sleeps downstairs on the shelf so it's hard to sleep downstairs to escape the winds.

IMG-20211013-WA0019.jpeg

Last edited:
Absolutely go for full winter tyres. I'm a Finnish citizen and have been to the North in the 4 winter months, 5 really in Northern Finland. March can still be deep snow. The roads are not cleared of snow. You will be driving on packed snow. All weather tyres will be hopeless. You need winter tyres that have sufficiently wide stipes to allow snow to squeeze out of the sides and to have enough silica to stay soft at -30 degrees, which is a normally cold winter in the North. There is a declared day when winter tyres go on, usually mid November. I've driven a T5 in deep snow on winter tyres. It is very sure footed. Be aware though you may be driving on a GPX track rather than anything resembling a road. Just avoid trees, be alert for reindeer who like to torment car drivers and are remarkably stupid. Stopping distances are important. Finland has some very big wildlife who are not fearful of cars. Reindeer are everywhere, moose fairly frequent. If you are lucky, brown bears or wolverines. Very occasionally wolves, especially near the Russian border. If you are driving to the east of Finland in winter make sure your sat nav is good. You, as a British citizen do not want to cross into Russia.

I'm able to give you a brief update on the actual experience of using the Good Year Vector 4 generation 3 tyres.
This is a double test because I'm in a 4 x 4 Cali and my mate is using the same tyres bought at the same time in a near identical Cali but 2 WD.
We both drove one from Alta to The North Cape. He stopped two days in Hammerfest.
If anyone knows the E6 it's a potentially difficult road in winter, can be closed, it's high up and very exposed.
The road for him and me 3 days later the road was solid packed ice and snow the whole way to Honningsvag.
Some slopes and curves on the way.
From Honningsvag to The North Cape its a smaller and much more hilly, even mountainess narrow curvy road. There had been blizzards for several days.
We both had the same experience with these tyres.
Simply, driving with care, they never missed a beat. Not one slide or slip with either Cali.
The weather was extremely bad coming back for me 2 days ago to Laksevl.
I was very anxious, especially going downhill.
I did take the corners and the hills very carefully, although as previously not on one occasion did they slip.
Here is some pictures from that part of the trip. IMG-20211019-WA0101.jpgIMG-20211020-WA0015.jpgIMG-20211019-WA0073.jpeg

IMG-20211020-WA0016.jpg
That's a trip, in two Calis,, one 4x4 and the other not, using identical tyres, of around 800km in all in snowy and icy weather, probably on some of the most demanding roads in North Norway, with freezing temperatures, last night it was minus 11.5 in. Lakselv.
In my opinion this is an objective test.
We both have no hesitation in recommending these goodyear tyres generation 3. They are approved as a winter tyre carrying the 3 peak symbol. The snow performance, compared to a dedicated winter reference, in most of the tests is least good if not excellent.
I think we have proved you can use them and if you go in late Autumn and get caught out with a snow storm, with careful driving you will be fine, in a 2wd or 4wd.
However for my part if possible I'd still prefer dedicated winter tyres with studs, especially for the icy sections. I'm sure they must be better still and safety in these tough conditions comes first not convenience.
However this year we did not expect these real winter temperatures and snows so early, so its great we both had these goodyear v 4 Generation tyres as a back up and peace of mind.
Going to North Norway with Summer dedicated Tyres in September / October would be insanely mad.
As a sad footnote to that point... on the night after my friends left Alta for Hammerfest a polish woman drove over the same mountain pass in a car with summer tyres and she crashed into another car and died. 5 people in both cars were also injured.
Tomorrow I'll update you about the trip into Northern Finland, where we all are now. It might appear weird but driving conditions are far far worse than we have faced and are facing a few other Cali issue's.IMG-20211020-WA0017.jpg

Last edited:
I'm able to give you a brief update on the actual experience of using the Good Year Vector 4 generation 3 tyres.
This is a double test because I'm in a 4 x 4 Cali and my mate is using the same tyres bought at the same time in a near identical Cali but 2 WD.
We both drove one from Alta to The North Cape. He stopped two days in Hammerfest.
If anyone knows the E6 it's a potentially difficult road in winter, can be closed, it's high up and very exposed.
The road for him and me 3 days later the road was solid packed ice and snow the whole way to Honningsvag.
Some slopes and curves on the way.
From Honningsvag to The North Cape its a smaller and much more hilly, even mountainess narrow curvy road. There had been blizzards for several days.
We both had the same experience with these tyres.
Simply, driving with care, they never missed a beat. Not one slide or slip with either Cali.
The weather was extremely bad coming back for me 2 days ago to Laksevl.
I was very anxious, especially going downhill.
I did take the corners and the hills very carefully, although as previously not on one occasion did they slip.
Here is some pictures from that part of the trip. View attachment 85793View attachment 85791View attachment 85795

View attachment 85790
That's a trip, in two Calis,, one 4x4 and the other not, using identical tyres, of around 800km in all in snowy and icy weather, probably on some of the most demanding roads in North Norway, with freezing temperatures, last night it was minus 11.5 in. Lakselv.
In my opinion this is an objective test.
We both have no hesitation in recommending these goodyear tyres generation 3. They are approved as a winter tyre carrying the 3 peak symbol. The snow performance, compared to a dedicated winter reference, in most of the tests is least good if not excellent.
I think we have proved you can use them and if you go in late Autumn and get caught out with a snow storm, with careful driving you will be fine, in a 2wd or 4wd.
However for my part if possible I'd still prefer dedicated winter tyres with studs, especially for the icy sections. I'm sure they must be better still and safety in these tough conditions comes first not convenience.
However this year we did not expect these real winter temperatures and snows so early, so its great we both had these goodyear v 4 Generation tyres as a back up and peace of mind.
Going to North Norway with Summer dedicated Tyres in September / October would be insanely mad.
As a sad footnote to that point... on the night after my friends left Alta for Hammerfest a polish woman drove over the same mountain pass in a car with summer tyres and she crashed into another car and died. 5 people in both cars were also injured.
Tomorrow I'll update you about the trip into Northern Finland, where we all are now. It might appear weird but driving conditions are far far worse than we have faced and are facing a few other Cali issue's.View attachment 85796

Great write up.
Interesting reading how both 2wd and 4wd managed to cope so well with this terrain.
It seems the 2wd version is very capable…

A small update...
Weather got worse, down to - 17c, I can't imagine worse conditions... Its warmer now 1c during the day but its been freezing again at night if it ever did slip above zero for a bit.
The roads up to now have not been gritted, much if at all.
Last night we drove to Ivalo and then Nellim, this is real North East Lapland, roads were largely ploughed, looked OK but for the foot seemed like sheet ice.
I drove very slowly not exceeding 60 kph on straight flat and lot less than that for each corner.
I've probably never tried these tires, Good Year Vector 4 generation 3, to their limits but so far once again I can tell you from 1000kms and over two weeks up here really in Arctic weather they have been simply stunning, I don't understand how they grip like they do. When it seems one can not walk on the icy compacted snow they seem to grip, even downhill. Not slid even a tiny bit once. I've no hesitation to recommend these tires as a first choice if you decide to drive in September here, if you get caught out, as we have done these will get you home safely, as long as you drive with great care. Tomorrow we leave to start our Journey South through Sweden, despite having these great tires IMG-20211019-WA0098.jpgI'll be pleased to drive on normal non icy roads again!!!

Last edited:
Pirelli clarify why they make All Season and Winter tyres available.

An article that I read on winter/snow tyres said that Nokian made the most suitable full spec winter tyres as they are based Finland.

Yes, Nokian are meant to be great tyres, I think if I was choosing a tyre for winter I would like Nokian and ideally studded. I'm seriously thinking of keeping a set here in the North.
This year we would of certainly of used at least full winter tires if not studded if we knew what the conditions would be. This weather was at least a month earlier and has even suprised the people who grit the roads because only now, some weeks after huge snows are the roads and pavements getting gritted. The ski season doesn't start here until 26th November.
When we left South of France it was around 25 to 30c, when we arrived in Bodo it was about 20c, we had summer like conditions all the way. Then almost overnight in Alta temperatures dropped to around zero and it snowed month or more early, most of my friends still had summer tired on their cars as it normally illegal to drive with winter studs , in the North, before October 16th. At that point with my winter approved all seasons I was better off then my Norwegian friends.
I'm not sure actually what the best winter approved all season tyres are or the best winter tyres, it seems in some tests one brand wins and another test another brand wins. Nokian, Good Year and Continental, Michelin, as well as Hannok all seem to well mentioned depending on the test.
I don't know how long they test them for I do think my mate in his 2wd Cali and me in my 4wd Cali just gave the Goodyear perhaps the best snow and ice test they ever had. I won't read more tests about all season tires I'd be worried to change to another brand based on a test under test conditions compared to the real life test we've just given them. If we go to the French Alps from our French home which is based in the warm South I'd certainly use the Goodyear Generation 3, I won't switch to full winter tyres.
If I come back in winter to the North Cape I'd want studded tyres, its often near sheet ice out there.
If all this is a result of climate change I don't know how we are going to plan what tyres to use in future, here is a snap we took of the info just short of Bodo, 19 C...a few weeks later we were immediately plunged into winter Arctic conditions....
IMG_20210927_132927.jpg

Last edited:
Back