Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road trip to the Nordic’s - any advice?

Dean Kennett

Dean Kennett

204 PS TDI 4Motion DSG Ocean Starlight Blue MY22
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I’m about to start planning a 3 week trip from the UK across to the Nordics. Hope to visit Sweden, Norway etc.
Any tips on ferries, Camping protocol or where to stay and anything worth seeing or to avoid.
Not going until next year. Also what to take and what to not take would be good. We have a bike rack but was wondering whether to get a box instead of the bikes but from what I hear it’s worth taking.
Any advice or pictures much appreciated.
Thanks Dean

I’m about to start planning a 3 week trip from the UK across to the Nordics. Hope to visit Sweden, Norway etc.
Any tips on ferries, Camping protocol or where to stay and anything worth seeing or to avoid.
Not going until next year. Also what to take and what to not take would be good. We have a bike rack but was wondering whether to get a box instead of the bikes but from what I hear it’s worth taking.
Any advice or pictures much appreciated.
Thanks Dean
You could checkout my threads on my last 4 trips to Scandinavia.

You could checkout my threads on my last 4 trips to Scandinavia.

I would suggest the overnight ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland then drive to Copenhagen and the Oresund Bridge to Sweden. Or, as I will be doing next year taking the new ferry route from Embden, N Germany to Kristiansand Norway. Saves 4 days driving to Kristiansand .
Campsites open May1st and get very busy July/August. I go in May. Normally good weather and no need to book campsites .

Avoid as much of July and August as you can.
Don’t try to cover too many miles a day, a common mistake of people going North. Travel is slow.

We did a circular tour of the Baltic over 8 weeks, in May and June 2019, taking in Finland, Sweden and Denmark on our return leg (see our route map). Netherlands was our starting/ending point, sailing from Newcastle, but you could go from Harwich. We made good use of our ACSI camping card for campsites, used our bikes a lot, as well as local transport to get into capital cities.

There are many ferries, one highlight was the ferry from Turku in Finland across to Stockholm on midsummer’s night. There’s a lot to cram into a 3 week trip, especially if you’re visiting cities - we didn’t reach Norway for instance during our 8 weeks - so be aware of the distances and what is achievable.

0D492EEA-3AA9-4B41-BE62-979171A769D4.jpeg