Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roll-out awning - another option?

Martin Randall

Martin Randall

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
In a moment of opulent madness I bought the Thule G3 Residence Safari Room. This is a substantial bit of kit as well as being expensive. Living in the north isles we needed something that stood a chance against our weather! Fundamental to this monster are the “side rafters” which capture the flappy sides of the wind-out awning and act as hangers for the side panels.
On a recent trip we have taken to using these side rafters on their own, using the roll-out awning simply as a porch. The rafters render the roll-out much more secure and resilient. They’re relatively heavy and, even split in two, quite long - but have been a game changer for us. If only these were available as a separate item…..

That does sound like an appealing bit of kit (we're planning an Orkney trip!).
Thule do have a good spares service - I've just replaced a clip from the rear Cali bike rack (which is by Thule, but not branded as such). I can't picture the part in question, but perhaps you could find it via the spares website? https://www.thule.com/en-gb/thule-support/spare-parts I'm sure it would be popular.

Wowser. Now that's a cost. Why not a Drive Away awning for a fraction of the price? Would they really blow way, even up in the boonies??