Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Curved rafter for awning

• Thread starter inthemidnighthour
  • Start date
I've just been out to test this Archie. When I do the final wind back, the awning basically gets as tight as it is possible to get it
Adding guy ropes holds it down of course, but it is not possible to add any extra tension.
So great advice....thanks
The whole point of these Tension Rafters is to enable the awning to be tensioned WITHOUT using tensioning guy ropes.
Guy ropes will tension the awning and provide additional Tie Down support.
Tension Rafter will allow tensioning of the awning But No Additional tie down support.

I don't think the poster "Archie" was referring to using guy ropes with the tension rafter, but referring how to properly tension the awning without resorting to a tension rafter.

Hi All just like to confirm that the FIAMMA TENSION RAFTER FOR F45 AWNINGS 98655-087, Poles, will work on the factory fitted VW T6 awning. i have read all the contributions and very interesting that VW or another company have not designed something specific for the VW awning. I have only picked up my T6 two weeks ago and headed to Norfolk; lo and behold, the sky opened up and hence the water bulge even with one pole lower than the other etc. So if the flamma fits; will that solve the issue.

I had a water bulge in my awning. It has now disappeared, so I would not get too worried about it.
Yes the curved rafter is a good idea to try & prevent water build up.

I've just bought an extendable washing line pole (£2 Morrisons) with the aim of using to keep the boot door open in cold weather (gas struts etc), but guess it could be used to prevent pooling on the awning?
I also tried this solution, but if the wind blows & lifts up the awning the pole falls over, unless you have propped it up with chairs or stuck it into the earth.
Have you seen the thread from Nick from Comfortz on this topic from last week?

Bit puzzled by the need for a 'rafter'? If the awning is wound out fully and then half turn back it tensions the canvas so water runs off (one leg shorter etc)...massive thunderstorm last night with lots of rain and no problems?

Bit puzzled by the need for a 'rafter'? If the awning is wound out fully and then half turn back it tensions the canvas so water runs off (one leg shorter etc)...massive thunderstorm last night with lots of rain and no problems?

I have to agree, in all the years I have owned my Cali we have never felt the need for a device like this and we have used our awning in some very heavy rain at times. As said above, full tension and slightly drop one leg and the rain just drains off.

If you have the sides and front fitted to make a safari room it's difficult to drop one side sufficiently to allow the water to drain, I've found.

If you have the sides and front fitted to make a safari room it's difficult to drop one side sufficiently to allow the water to drain, I've found.
See your point, we don't have any attachments to the awning currently but it doesn't need much of a slope, I think it's more to do with the tension on the canvas....it also means it doesn't flap in the wind!

Having used the rafter one time in the rain, it was reasonably effective, but I ended up with two small bulges, one on each side of the rafter (I didn't lower the awning legs). I found it more effective when I removed it and used it as a pole pushing up the centre of the awning! I now consider it as a useful dual purpose item.

Does raising one and lowering the other a little give the required slope?

Just wondering why you leave it wound out? We only (very rarely) have ours out if we are actually sitting under it, or in the van with the door open.... In which case we can see if the water pools.....

It gives you a dry area in front of the door. You can leave your wet boots and coats outside. That is very helpfull when you want to keep the "livingroom" nice and tidy ;-)

Does raising one and lowering the other a little give the required slope?
Well, we've only used the safari room once since we bought it at Lower Lode. I did put as much of a slope on it as I could when we went to bed but we had a really heavy downpour later and I had to get up in the early hours and empty it - several times!

When the sides are attached and pegged down you are limited as to how high you can lift the legs. You can only really lower one of them and if it goes too low the whole thing starts to take on a baggy appearance (much like it's owner :D).

Maybe one of the sides should be shorter than the other to allow for this. Idea?

Another problem with the safari room idea its that if the wind blows from the side it lifts up the awning and creates a large gap, even with the awning at it's tautest i.e. half a turn back. I ended up attaching the two tie down straps together and using the resultant long strap to go over the top of the awning.

Where can we get these rafters from please and what size do I need?

Where can we get these rafters from please and what size do I need?

We bought one tried it and sold it....... We just ended up with a pair of enormous boobs. Lowering the corner of the awning was the way. No boobs no buldge......Just like Jane Fonda

Ok that is interesting, how do other people get on with these? I am sure I read some people raving on about them?

Ok that is interesting, how do other people get on with these? I am sure I read some people raving on about them?

The rake on the cali awning is too low to make them work. It was just mizzle when we tried it. If it had been really raining the boobies might have damaged the awning. Just FYI the Omnistor fitted awning has a join and if you leave it out in hot sun the join separates. Only wind it out until the join when it is hot and sunny. If it does part clear Gorrilla tape is an excellent and practically invisible repair.

I just tried to order but when I got to checkout and logged in it says I am temporarily locked out...?

Can you reset me ?

Thanks

Hi @BerndRos we are not aware of any problems as we have had orders coming in, could you try and refresh your browser and try again please and let me know how you get on?

So has anyone purchased the one from the club shop and happy with it, does the job?

So has anyone purchased the one from the club shop and happy with it, does the job?
We didn,t get one because Fiamma, ours is a Fiamma, say that you shouldn't leave it in permanently as it can stretch the awning material. So..... what is permanent? Can you leave it in over night? Say next day you forget to remove it? say it is constantly raining?
So, as I said, no sale for us although I do have the non arched beams which I use on the awning sides to hang two curtains as sunshades. Similar to the. Brandrupp ones but not so dear. But they don’t stretch the material.

I have one and used it with a safari room. With the safari room ends and the rafter, I never had man boobs let alone saggy ones.

We have had one for a couple of years and find it very useful, when used properly. It minimises the area that rainfall can pond on.
It can be difficult to get a good fix onto the awning bars but I got 2 soft rubber pieces that fit on the end of it and hold it pretty well.
It is useful when rain is expected but you still need the awning room out.

I have now read the whole thread and still don’t know which one to buy. The reason we are looking for one is because our last awning seam came apart but even though we were well out of warranty vw agreed to make a 2/3 contribution towards a brand new awning with NO seam. Couldn’t say no could I.
Although I know that there is no seam to fail now there is still the problem of puddles on the top when the safari room is up which we put up when we are staying a few nights and difficult to take down in the middle of the night ...It all needs to be level and you just cannot get the slope that is required for the water to drain off in a downpour. I have in the past got up 3 or 4 times in the night to get rid of the big puddle on the roof before something more serious happens. Even with the awning under full tension it’s really only the ends that are fully taught because the awning roller is a flexible item and because of this the centre can never be as taught as the ends.
I’m just looking for something that will reduce chance of the huge buildup of rain water while the awning is flat and level.

I have now read the whole thread and still don’t know which one to buy. The reason we are looking for one is because our last awning seam came apart but even though we were well out of warranty vw agreed to make a 2/3 contribution towards a brand new awning with NO seam. Couldn’t say no could I.
Although I know that there is no seam to fail now there is still the problem of puddles on the top when the safari room is up which we put up when we are staying a few nights and difficult to take down in the middle of the night ...It all needs to be level and you just cannot get the slope that is required for the water to drain off in a downpour. I have in the past got up 3 or 4 times in the night to get rid of the big puddle on the roof before something more serious happens. Even with the awning under full tension it’s really only the ends that are fully taught because the awning roller is a flexible item and because of this the centre can never be as taught as the ends.
I’m just looking for something that will reduce chance of the huge buildup of rain water while the awning is flat and level.

I purchased the fammia curved rafter pro and works fine.

Why not a vertical, adjustable pole with a large pad to place in the centre when required?

Back