Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roll out Awning Repair Needed

A

Alistair Hardy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a problem with the wind out awning on a 2015 California, in that one of the alloy legs will not release as it should do, and remains stuck in the front section of the awning. I have located spare parts on the internet, but wonder if any one can suggest a repairer in case it gets complicated.
I am based in East Anglia
Many thanks

I have a problem with the wind out awning on a 2015 California, in that one of the alloy legs will not release as it should do, and remains stuck in the front section of the awning. I have located spare parts on the internet, but wonder if any one can suggest a repairer in case it gets complicated.
I am based in East Anglia
Many thanks
@Alistair Hardy , it is easy to fix and don't be afraid to apply some extra pressure. It is not something that breaks easily.

From what I understand, it is the bottom end of the leg that has a spring loaded mechanism that helps slot it into the groove to keep it in place when folded?

Douse generously with WD40. It is usually dust or other items that have gotten into the mechanism that has very little clearance and jammed it tight. Use a mallet with a piece of wood against the foot of that small piece to wedge it loose.

When you do this, ensure that someone is holding the awning and also do not roll out the awning more than 5 to 6 inches, just enough to access that part.

If my understanding is not correct, please do post a few pics.

for all awning related spare parts, roseawnings (https://www.roseawnings.co.uk/) is a good shop.

@Alistair Hardy , it is easy to fix and don't be afraid to apply some extra pressure. It is not something that breaks easily.

From what I understand, it is the bottom end of the leg that has a spring loaded mechanism that helps slot it into the groove to keep it in place when folded?

Douse generously with WD40. It is usually dust or other items that have gotten into the mechanism that has very little clearance and jammed it tight. Use a mallet with a piece of wood against the foot of that small piece to wedge it loose.

When you do this, ensure that someone is holding the awning and also do not roll out the awning more than 5 to 6 inches, just enough to access that part.

If my understanding is not correct, please do post a few pics.

for all awning related spare parts, roseawnings (https://www.roseawnings.co.uk/) is a good shop.
Thank you so much for your advice and link to spare parts supplier.
Very much appreciated
Alistair

The lower part of the leg slides inside the upper part.
there is very little tolerance between the two parts, if the upper or lower part has been damaged or mis shaped the two parts will bind together making it difficult to slide.
there’s a plastic guide that locates into the bottom of the upper leg, secured by one cross head screw,
undo the one screw and remove the plastic guide (slide it downwards )
the lower leg should then be able to be removed more easily (applying WD40 / silicone spray etc, will assist)
the locking mechanism and spring will come out with the lower part of the leg, you may not need to remove the lower leg fully) be sure to look how the locking mechanism is assembled (It is basic but does need to be inserted In A certain way)

0B877EBF-6512-4FEA-AEFA-908937DB6B02.jpeg

here is what a pair of the locking mechs and guides look like, the guide is the square item with the hole (hole is where the retaining screw goes into the upper leg

8A829B17-5CB4-46C9-A237-7224F9BDFA09.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems part number 6 does not open at one end as it should, and does at the other in other words it encases the leg and prevents access and does not allow it to exit the casing.
Thanks for your advise and more would be welcome

It seems part number 6 does not open at one end as it should, and does at the other in other words it encases the leg and prevents access and does not allow it to exit the casing.
Thanks for your advise and more would be welcome
Part number 4 (handle fits into
part no.8 (gearbox)
winding the handle moves Both parts no 11 &12

if both 11 & 12 do not move in tandem to open the awning cover part no 6

there may be an issue with the gearbox or the linkage

here is a vid of a much larger awning but the principle and operation are the same for your reference