Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How far to wind out before dropping legs?

parrots mum

Life at the Edinburgh CC
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
How far can you safely wind out the awning before dropping the legs? As I travel alone there's no one to support the awning when I wind it out. I'm sure I've provided entertainment for others as they watch me setting it up.
Thanks, in anticipation.

Only about 12" I think, but if you put the legs down slightly too long at that point (so it points up a bit) then you can walk the legs out in about 2 steps - if that makes sense.

T

Yeah I do the same - I drop the legs so they're pointing outwards away from the van it gives me a few extra turns of the crank before I have to move the legs again

Is it a problem to wind the awning fully out and then put the legs up ?
I do it that way .....

I really really wouldn't do that!
The awning is pretty hefty and winding it fully out is asking for trouble IMHO, it may be bolted to the van in several places but I would imagine it puts the fixings under pressure not to mention the risk of damaging either the van or the awning itself.
Doing it my way takes no more than a couple of minutes and eliminates any risk of damage

I thought id read in the manual to only wind out 500mm before supporting it with legs or helpful passenger.

Yep - it is in the manual to only wind it out a bit - also I think it is on the little sticker on the windy handle (or maybe on the inside of the awning)

I love the amount of warning stickers in the manual and stuck all around the cabin :)

T

Thanks everyone for your advice. I had read that the awning should only be wound out a bit due to the weight, but wondered whether this could be overruled. Seems not. Good tip about slanting the legs forward.Will do that next time, or find a willing volunteer to support it.
Yes, love all the warning stickers--not to mention the handbook.

Try to keep it in mind 'till next time... :thanks