Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bellows possibly damaged by dealer

SimonSpain said:
I see your sense in getting the bellows and changing it later, but storing the thing and keeping it safe would be a bit of a pain....and then I'd need to drive over to the UK with it if I wanted to get it fixed by folk who actually know what they are doing... :headbang :headbang

Just had the roof and bellows replace on my Beach. I asked if I could keep the old bellows just in case something happens later when out of warranty. I was told it had to go back to VW. I can't see them just giving you the bellows. Besides its a lucrative market for dealers doing the labour to replace roof and bellows. :D

Andy

As soon as I wrote that, I new that the old part would need to be sent back to VW, or you'd get 2 bellows with your Cali. I still can't quite figure out how a very pretty but very very flawed piece of design has managed to keep going for so long. There must be...and are....some simple solutions VW could come up with to make trapping the bellows virtually impossible. Saying that mine wasn't trapped... it was cut by a very nice but rather clumsy Spanish VW mechanic.... :headbang :headbang . I really really wish I'd never taken it in for some simple. ... and even more petty now....repairs. But it's put your trust in the local dealer or live with loose bits of Cali. Loose loose I think it's called! :headbang :headbang

Why o why didn't I get a Globecar..... :doh :doh ...couldn't park it anywhere, that's why. :lol: :lol:

:cool :thanks

Firstly.....MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL ON THE FORUM! :D :D

...now..... :lol: :lol: ....while waiting for the new year and for the dealer to get back to me on the small cut in the bellows. I have seen some 'imperfections' in the material...ie thin light lines where more light shines through. They seem to go with the 'grain' of the fabric unlike the cut....BUT....maybe they are other faults waiting to open eventually? Anyone else have these anomalies in their canvas material???

Also...and I am sure it never used to... :headbang ....my roof closes fine, but the last maybe 40cm..the right hand sided drops faster and closes slightly before. But when I raise the roof it raises equally? Is this yet another problem on the list to sort before the warranty runs out. Here in Spain it's not 3 years...it's 2!!!! :censor :censor

:thanks :cool

Bellows is being replaced under warranty which is cool, but let's see if they can actually do it without breaking anything else or making a mess. :lol: :headbang

Ok guys...and girls! :D :D

I am in a Catch 22 situation :headbang :headbang

The dealer has agreed to change the roof bellows....but is not actually accepting that they cut the factory fitted bellows. They will do it and then try and get it through under guarantee. BUT...they must do the work. This is my worry...do I go ahead and risk maybe further damaging the lovely new Cali we have? Or do I just leave it and accept the cut...1cm and like a razor blade cut....but still there!!!

Thanks! :D

I wanted to start a new thread but have NO idea how, so I am writing all this for myself I think, :lol: :headbang :headbang

Dealer has changed the roof bellow and all seems pretty damn good! The new bellows is much thicker and darker grey than the old one which was new but very very light and almost thread bear in places, so as long as this new one has been fitted right, we are very happy! :cool

Glad it has all gone well, did they manage to do it under warranty like they had suggested?

cheers

Must be a relief to get this sorted without either a huge bill or damage to the van.

Sorry all...don't seem to get a message now when I get a reply, so just checked the page! Hi Alex....yes done under guarantee...so that was at least ok. They did the work and will now try and put it through as guarantee work, but if VW don't accept it as under guarantee...they will cover it. They will I am sue do or say something to the Spanish importer so they won't have to pay, but at least it's done! Work seem good...not perfect, but good. One front corner seems a tiny bit puckered where the rubber maybe has not been smoothed out perfectly and a tiny bit at the rear, but I am just happy to have what seems like a much stronger and better bellows...and no more damage to the van too! :cool
If we get over maybe I'll drop by and SMG can check it. I'd pay if it was a simple job to straighten out the puckers. I'd try it but I dont' want to ruin anything!

Thanks all! :goodone

Back