Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement bellows 2006 T5

Can anyone advise who else might be able to fit a replacement canvas. Just been quoted £1600+ by the VW centre in Preston!
I can do this job...
If you came to Portugal maybe can save money to vacations and go to United Kingdom with new canvas for less

Just done this job today. Really not a difficult job and no special tools needed. The first pull is the toughest but once going it is a quick job. 3.5hrs on my own at a very moderate pace. Easier with a scaff tower certainly.
Just needs a ‘SKRAPR’ tool from Lakeland to oust the seal trims fully home and a tube of Sika 521.

B98AD760-8BC6-4340-8F5A-F4B790FB659E.jpeg

ECC82C43-4BB5-4B24-9B14-2BCEA818E8E2.jpeg

6AB8E4E3-300D-43D4-BD1D-D3EA127C7B63.jpeg

AD7A9B3A-D427-46FD-B28B-58C1AC915A39.jpeg

C0648B34-EBAF-4612-AC8B-3562C1B88806.jpeg

FCE5086D-0102-4801-9FAE-2E34EED2F064.jpeg

Just done this job today. Really not a difficult job and no special tools needed. The first pull is the toughest but once going it is a quick job. 3.5hrs on my own at a very moderate pace. Easier with a scaff tower certainly.
Just needs a ‘SKRAPR’ tool from Lakeland to oust the seal trims fully home and a tube of Sika 521.

View attachment 121616

View attachment 121617

View attachment 121620

View attachment 121621

View attachment 121622

View attachment 121618
That looks great!! I had planned to do this myself as well, and after your post ill definately be doing it. Did you buy the bellows direct from VW?

I had planned to replace the bellows in the next few weeks, but there is a lot of talk of the new bellows leaking around the seams at the moment on new vans, and I assume if I buy just the bellows, it will be a set of the new batch of bellows, so just waiting to see if they resolve this first before I go ahead with buying the bellows.

Did you put the sika all of the way around the seals top and bottom? or just set areas?

View attachment 121616

View attachment 121617

View attachment 121620

View attachment 121621

View attachment 121622

View attachment 121618
That looks like a great job, what was the part number for the grey one you got?

That looks great!! I had planned to do this myself as well, and after your post ill definately be doing it. Did you buy the bellows direct from VW?

I had planned to replace the bellows in the next few weeks, but there is a lot of talk of the new bellows leaking around the seams at the moment on new vans, and I assume if I buy just the bellows, it will be a set of the new batch of bellows, so just waiting to see if they resolve this first before I go ahead with buying the bellows.

Did you put the sika all of the way around the seals top and bottom? or just set areas?

Sika just on the prescribed joints plus a dot on the upper front corners as those have been seen to pull loose on dealer replacements.

I hear the same re leaking seams - but the old bellows had a couple of nicks and we’re past their best. I don’t like packing away wet canvas so use a Pucer wrap if there is any chance of rain whatsoever so I’m not getting into a flap about that for now. As shown, it’s no more than a 4hr job to replace again so if in 10yrs time they finally make a fully waterproof top I can swap it again!

Part number and cost below. Direct from VW (TPS with an amazing 2.5% discount!!)

Though, if I did it again I think I’d have gone with the blue one!

I hadn’t realised quite how faded the old one was.

7FAEC95B-7144-466B-9D3C-C56FCF2B7133.jpeg

Sika just on the prescribed joints plus a dot on the upper front corners as those have been seen to pull loose on dealer replacements.

I hear the same re leaking seams - but the old bellows had a couple of nicks and we’re past their best. I don’t like packing away wet canvas so use a Pucer wrap if there is any chance of rain whatsoever so I’m not getting into a flap about that for now. As shown, it’s no more than a 4hr job to replace again so if in 10yrs time they finally make a fully waterproof top I can swap it again!

Part number and cost below. Direct from VW (TPS with an amazing 2.5% discount!!)

Though, if I did it again I think I’d have gone with the blue one!

I hadn’t realised quite how faded the old one was.

View attachment 121629
Ah excellent! Thankyou! Yes I had read it was just the corners / joints to put the sikaflex
Pretty confident doing it myself, and just waiting a little longer to see about the leaks, but sounds like using some waterproof spray on the seams solves any issues anyway, so might do that as well.
Yes mine have some nicks as well, plus the spline in the front has broken so it doesn't fold in properly any more.

Back