Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof canvas on T6.1 from late 2022 - what's the diff'?

Corgimajor

Corgimajor

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All, I've just watched the latest "California Chris" YouTube video covering the new pop up roof fabric solution fitted to late 2022 production vehicles, and apart from the sense that the material make up is a dual skin with the inner layer being an off white (an therefore providing a brighter interior feel) and the outer layer being slightly smoother, I didn't get much more info on the difference between "old" and "new" fabric solutions. Does anyone know the reason for the change? Is it going to provide better insulation or better black out performance? I have a mid 2022 production T6.1 Ocean with the "old" fabric and so have only a technical interest in these changes and no hint of FOMO

Hi All, I've just watched the latest "California Chris" YouTube video covering the new pop up roof fabric solution fitted to late 2022 production vehicles, and apart from the sense that the material make up is a dual skin with the inner layer being an off white (an therefore providing a brighter interior feel) and the outer layer being slightly smoother, I didn't get much more info on the difference between "old" and "new" fabric solutions. Does anyone know the reason for the change? Is it going to provide better insulation or better black out performance? I have a mid 2022 production T6.1 Ocean with the "old" fabric and so have only a technical interest in these changes and no hint of FOMO
I have the new fabric on the my MY23 Coast. The fabric being double skinned does have better blackout properties, although the vest will still allow some light infiltration. I would expect better insulation but somewhere between old fabric and isotope. I understand the main reason for the change was to improve the water proofing. The outer fabric feels like neoprene and is slightly stretchy.

Hi @Corradobrit, thanks for the feedback on your experience with the new fabric solution. Your assessment on the range of isolation being somewhere between "old" fabric and Brandrup's Iso-Top aftermarket solution. I had wondered whether the new fabric solution might have reduced/removed the demand for an Iso-Top? Be interested in your and other owner's view as more experience is gathered. I'm sure Brandrup will be interested too!!!

Be interested in your and other owner's view as more experience is gathered. I'm sure Brandrup will be interested too!!!
Having always previously fitted Theis or isotop liners in my vans, I won't bother in our latest one with the MY23 roof canvas.
More important than the insulation properties was the liners stopping moisture wicking through the canvas if you leant up against them at night. The new roof prevents that already.

The new one also stops enough sunlight to prevent that being a problem.

The only thing it does need is some small bits of material to obscure the vents as that is the only source of light & draughts.

Does anyone know if the new canvas with fully opened front will fit a 2008 California and the part number

Depends on which canvas you mean by 'new canvas'. However, we own a 2011 T5 and when the roof corrosion work was done the original canvas was replaced and a new one was installed. One with a front 'window' that can open fully. At that time the T6 was the latest model and the canvas was a T6 canvas. So yes, I have no doubt you can get a canvas with a fully opened front fitted on your T5.

Last edited:
Just to be clear what I mean by fully opening, this is what ours looks like.
window.jpg

Does anyone know if the new canvas with fully opened front will fit a 2008 California and the part number
Is yours a T5 rather than a T5.1?

At some point the roof bellows dimensions changed, with earlier roofs opening higher.

I seem to remember, but not 100% sure, that one of the signs of the earliest roofs was that the bottom of the arched side windows ran parallel to the roof top, whereas later roofs the bottom of the window stayed parallel with the ground.

Its worth trying searching posts from way back in the early days of the forum about pacer screens & roof toppers as I recall that there were problems fitting early versions on some vans & thats when the discrepancy was found.

Is yours a T5 rather than a T5.1?

At some point the roof bellows dimensions changed, with earlier roofs opening higher.

I seem to remember, but not 100% sure, that one of the signs of the earliest roofs was that the bottom of the arched side windows ran parallel to the roof top, whereas later roofs the bottom of the window stayed parallel with the ground.

Its worth trying searching posts from way back in the early days of the forum about pacer screens & roof toppers as I recall that there were problems fitting early versions on some vans & thats when the discrepancy was found.
Thanks I will check

Thanks I will check
Found this post about a Vanarak roof cover for sale, seems to suggest 2005/2006 was the change point.

Re: FOR SALE: Vanarak Roof Cover

See below re older Cali's

Please choose the year your California was manufactured –Note: there is one special case in the beginning of 2006, in which VW still sold old vans made in ’05 in 2006. You can find out if this special case applies to you by checking the windows in the roof fabric. If the window is horizontal to the ground, then you have the 2006 model. If it is angled (towards the front) front you still have the 05 model even though it may say ‘06. In this case, please order a cap for the ’05 model.
After that, you can choose the color (I recommend silver to be the best color), windows, and, if you are considering adding a solar module or a roof carrier system, you will have to order the topless cap.

Back