Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof control unit failure (flickering)

Just as an update. After a few failed attempts at known issues, I had to replace the complete control unit. I’ve only just got the van back, but it seems to have rectified the issue so far. The new unit was over £700, but I got a discount of 38% (?) from either the dealer or VW. Total bill including fitting was £545
Not overly happy at the text the unit failed one week out of warranty, nor for the costs. It’s fixed now in any case and I’m looking forward to some summer travels.

Just as an update. After a few failed attempts at known issues, I had to replace the complete control unit. I’ve only just got the van back, but it seems to have rectified the issue so far. The new unit was over £700, but I got a discount of 38% (?) from either the dealer or VW. Total bill including fitting was £545
Not overly happy at the text the unit failed one week out of warranty, nor for the costs. It’s fixed now in any case and I’m looking forward to some summer travels.
Ouch....
Did you ask for your old unit back, there is a company in Holland that repairs
them. When i got ripped off for a new one i got my old one back so i now have
a spare which i had repaired recently, 80 €.

Ouch....
Did you ask for your old unit back, there is a company in Holland that repairs
them. When i got ripped off for a new one i got my old one back so i now have
a spare which i had repaired recently, 80 €.
Good idea. I didn’t, but I shall. I’d like to think VW (or the control unit oem) have fixed the problem on the replacement. You don’t happen to have the details of the repair company in Holland do you? Thanks

by way of an update. the van has been in and out of VW for a year about this issue. However today i got it back repaired. Faulty connections within the fusebox below the passenger seat. The conections were removed, cleaned, put back together and all is good. I had a decent chat about the matter with the local lead tech and i was determined to resolve the matter before taking this back again, especially since the dealer suggested changing the fridge as it could be the cause!! at £1,100+ Im glad i resisted. i did check the fuse box last year, but the tech may have removed it completely. Irrespective, the dealer found the fault and hopefully this can highlight future such failings into a speedier recovery than I experienced.

For the first time since June 2017 the roof control unit and all it's controlled accessories are fully functional. today I'm a happy man. :)

Back