Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof corrosion articles in VW Bus CORRECTION!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Just letting you all know that forthcoming next issue of VWbus 4/5+ (#29) has a 2 page article about the roof corrosion issue using info supplied by the Cali Club and VW (VWs response makes no reference to the other areas than front panel).
My column also raises the issue but comes from perspective of just finding the fault on mine, and the way the club/forum has brought people together to speak with one voice not try and deal with being fobbed off as individuals and kept owners apprised of what to do. And raises the other roof issues (sorry about that) as - over to you VW?
And I really do think VW have not internalised either the scope / number of the front panel repairs or that there is another problem...(well I think they have somewhere in Germany, and they are secretly looking very hard at it)
Has it put the vast majority of us off owning or enjoying ours? No!

Re: Roof corrosion articles in VW Bus

looking forward to having a read

Thank you David, I hope you was able to make use of some of the pics I sent you.

Please tell me when is the magazine published?

Totally agree with the exposure your article will give to this issue , which in my case i have been waiting over 1 year to have rectified now as originally reported 2 bubbles on front panel in July 2013 , but although this was acknowledged by VW customer services in November 2013 was not then re-instated as a complaint by VW or the dealer when VW decided that ALL complaints had to be re-registered!
However , does anyone else worry that National exposure will de-value our vehicles . Catch 22 as i want the exposure ,but don't want to think the vehicles second hand value will drop like a stone due to this!
So does anyone else now think we should consider legal action for compensation from VW?
Theres enough owners with this problem that if we ALL joined forces with the owners club behind us , it could be worth investigating.After All its US that will now suffer financially .
Any thoughts?

I keep wondering what the situation is apart from UK- the other continental markets must be far larger and have proportionally bigger volumes of issues- does each country have to negotiate its own response with VW?

fordyski100 said:
Totally agree with the exposure your article will give to this issue , which in my case i have been waiting over 1 year to have rectified now as originally reported 2 bubbles on front panel in July 2013 , but although this was acknowledged by VW customer services in November 2013 was not then re-instated as a complaint by VW or the dealer when VW decided that ALL complaints had to be re-registered!
However , does anyone else worry that National exposure will de-value our vehicles . Catch 22 as i want the exposure ,but don't want to think the vehicles second hand value will drop like a stone due to this!
So does anyone else now think we should consider legal action for compensation from VW?
Theres enough owners with this problem that if we ALL joined forces with the owners club behind us , it could be worth investigating.After All its US that will now suffer financially .
Any thoughts?

I would just like mine fixed like all the newer vans. :cry:
I wouldn't think the value of those that can be fixed under warranty would be effected as long as the repair works, it's still the best looking camper van on the market at the moment. I think if I was to try and sell mine for the price I think it's worth I wouldn't have a cat in hells chance. The first thing buyers would ask would be about the roof corrosion and any articles in magazine's is just going to advertise it more to the masses. But how long can it be kept undercover for? it's getting more and more widely known and if david did not print it first in his magazine a competing magazine will.
Some sort of legal action to get all vans fixed should be the main aim for the club and members.

PLEASE SEE MY POSTING THIS EVENING UNDER "ROOF CORROSION LATEST UPDATES"

SusiBus

OOPS! working 3 montsh ahead means you lose track of what timezone you are in!
The main article is in the NEW VWbus #28 out now!
My column will be in #29 and will be updated to reflect Susibus's confirmation and the ongoing saga and similar...so works out well I think...
I just need to digest all the latest and then get amending my text!

Back