Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

roof corrosion Belgium

O

onela

Hi everyone,

last June we bought a second-hand Cali from 2010 and recently we've discovered that we're suffering from corrosion as well. Today I brought it to the garage for the first time and asked them to check it. The dealer was quite rude and told me that it may fall under warranty in the UK and Germany, but not in Belgium. Is there anyone here from Belgium who suffered from the same problem and did get warranty?
Also, apparantely the previous owners hadn't gone to an official VW garage for their latest checks, so according to the dealer, I don't have any warranty anyway. But, I can't help it that the previous owners didn't go to an official garage + I don't think the corrosion has anything to do with the normal check ups they regularly do in garages.
Anyway, after a lot of palaver and many put-me-downs from the dealer (I'm a woman and therefore considered to be absolutely stupid I presume), he finally agreed to take some pictures and make a file for VW. He warned that I problably would have to go to court.
Anyone having experience with that?

A fellow member from Belgium on the Dutch T4 & T5 forum took his second-hand Cali, self-imported from Germany, to a local Belgian dealer who was quite aware of the special warranty/coulance arrangement for the roof corrosion for max 6-year old Cali's, and without ado simply filed the case with VW, week of Sept 30. The forum member got his acceptance confirmation 3 weeks ago. Dec 9 his Cali goes in for repair.
Like examples on the Dutch forum from Dutch Cali-owners.

As has also been discussed here: the arrangement is an EU-wide VW arrangement, tied to the car by its VIN, not to whoever imported, bought or resold it or who happens to be the owner today.

It seems your dealer is not quite aware of the arrangement.

Thank you for your quick response. In the mean time I also had found that case fo the other Belgian owner.

The other problem is though that the previous owner had not gone to an official VW dealer for his latest checks but had gone to an independent garage. According to my dealer this means that the car doesn't fall under warranty anymore. Anyone that has any experience with that?

In the UK to remain in warranty you only have to prove the vehicle has been maintained in accordance with the manufactures guidelines (i.e. serviced at their intervals & correct parts used). Appreciate this applies to mechanics but I assume unless the previous owner painted the roof themselves or didn't wast it by approved methods (there is a bit in the hand book on how to wash !!!) then I would argue yours is covered. Good luck - do you have a Citizen advice Bureau in Belgium (if not google can often be your friend)

Hi Onela,

Can you please advice me... We also have the "roof corrosion problem" on our second-hand bought VW. What steps do I have to take to get this fixed under warranty?

Thanks!

Bart

Just found out today mine is due in at benfield Newcastle Jan 16 . Has anyone else had their cali repaired by them? and where there any problems