Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Corrosion - what are the main issues?

C

Captainbeaky

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there,

I'm new, and I think I have the info I need, I just want to quickly check.

I'm an impostor - I have retrofitted a Cali roof to my 2010 T5!
But I would be very grateful for any help to understand the corrosion issues, and be sure that I have addressed them fully ( because vw warranty is not an option for me!)

There appear to be three issues - please correct me if I be missed anything...

1. Corrosion of the cast aluminium front section of the roof. ( the part directly above the windscreen) that originates either in the "valley" between the awning rail and roof panel, or where the roof seal rubs against the front section.
2. Corrosion of the aluminium lifting roof panel originating under the rubber seal.
3. Corrosion of the steel roof panel where the rubber seal from the lifting roof panel has worn through the paint?

Is this the list of problems, or are there more I need to consider?

When I fitted the roof ( not a small job I can assure you!) , I was careful to address the tiny areas of corrosion that were present in both the front panel and lifting panel, making sure that I properly protected against corrosion using the right primers and anti corrosion compounds inside the sections, so I think I have that covered as best as I possibly can.

Regarding the rubbing issue, I can easily install a transparent anti-wear tape where the lifting panel rubs the other panels - this is often fitted to wheel arches and the like, and can be bought in strip form for motorbikes.

Is this all I need to do? or is there more to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Hi Mike it is also thought that the metal strip in the rubber is rusting and reacting with the edge of the roof so the tape sounds a good idea