Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof corrosion repair - recommended body shops for warranty repair

T

Themeparkdad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if any of the approved roof corrosion warranty repair body shops do a better (or worse) job than others, from experience of all the forum members who have had this repair done before?

I can see a few posts asking for people's experiences with some individual body shops, but I can't find a post e.g. asking people on this forum who have had the repair to vote whether they would/would not recommend the body shop they used (I don't know how to set this up).

I have a 2019 T6 Ocean, with some paint bubbling on the front edge of the elevating roof and around the front roof drain inlets.

Body shops I've been told I can choose between are:

Lookers, North Shields
H&L Motors, Twickenham
Glasgow Body Shop
Marshall Paint & Body, Greenham (near Reading)
Inchcape Chester
Claridges, Southport
Sinclair, Swansea
Marshall Paint & Body, Grimsby

I am in Cambridgeshire. My Cali will be taken to the body shop by transporter, but I was considering one of the closer ones in case of issues and me needing to take it back, e.g. H&L Motors, Twickenham or Marshall, Greenham.

However, I would like to book it in where it is most likely to get fixed without resulting in more issues.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry no experience as yet so cannot offer advise, but found your list of dealerships useful.
We are currently looking to contact VW dealership re ‘bubbling’ around the end edge of one of the roof inverted sections and a small area of what appears to be lacquer peel. I was going to contact John Clarke ( Edinburgh) who are used for servicing/MOT’s but given your list will now contact Glasgow Body Shop… we live Glasgow Southside.
Coincidence, our van is 2019 Cali Ocean 150 DSG ( purchased new from Liverpool).

IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5745.jpeg

Sorry no experience as yet so cannot offer advise, but found your list of dealerships useful.
We are currently looking to contact VW dealership re ‘bubbling’ around the end edge of one of the roof inverted sections and a small area of what appears to be lacquer peel. I was going to contact John Clarke ( Edinburgh) who are used for servicing/MOT’s but given your list will now contact Glasgow Body Shop… we live Glasgow Southside.
Coincidence, our van is 2019 Cali Ocean 150 DSG ( purchased new from Liverpool).

View attachment 125355

View attachment 125356
I think most on the list I was given are not VW Van Centres but general body shops. I think you first need to contact a Van Centre, who photograph it, get approval from VW, then arrange to get it repaired at a Van Centre. So you may need to contact the Van Centre in Edinburgh for assessment, who will then send you to Glasgow Body Shop to be repaired. Hope that helps.

The body shops will be the ones that have agreed to do the work at a price VW will pay and also warranty their work. The warranty on the repair is with the bodyshop not VW.

My roof repair experience is with 2 places. Heritage in the West Country who did the original repair 10 years ago, replacing the front section (now no longer done) and rubbing down & repainting the elevating section edge. They did a great job on the front section but after 5 ish years the repainted edge up to where the roof rack channels are was fading and no longer shiny.
Heritage pulled out of being one of the approved body shops.

Next my van was identified as part of the roof edge tape and new rubber seal campaign. Thought this would be beneficial and would also fix the fading paintwork. On waiting list for 2 years and finally came to the top of the list 2.5 years ago. Now I’m not 100% sure which bodyshop did the work but believe it was S London so may have been Twickenham. Dropped the van of at local dealer (Breeze Soton) and it went away for about 2 months. Was provided with a hire car (dirty, no roof rack to carry my kayaks and hire company tried to bill me for damage present on collection) and became regular caller to Breeze requesting updates. When it did get returned the work was the bare minimum standard. Better than the faded paint had become but hadn’t redone the leading edge of the roof. Other things were going on in my life at the time so didn’t take it any further.
My impression is that this warranty work was being done in any dead time the shop had between other better paid work.

A year ago I noticed that the front right section of the elevating roof had some lacquer peal, this was where the recent repaint blended with original repair. Went back to Breeze who forwarded photos to bodyshop. Then nothing, no reply or contact. Had also been visiting a few local bodyshops. They were all telling me that the proper repair was a complete roof re spray. One would blend the section in but not provide any warranty on the work. In the end I had the work done locally and paid for it myself. Took the place (Central park bodyshop in Winchester) less than a week to do the whole roof and some other fixes and now looks like new. Six months in so far so fingers crossed it’s now sorted.
Sorry for long post but my experience is now that unless I know what work the shop is authorised to do I prefer to have control myself.

I had some paintwork done on a Caddy Maxi Life i had. Bonnet and rear quarter by Marshalls body shop at Grimsby and it really was Perfect.

Back