Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof hatch gap

steverob55

steverob55

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Just back from first trip away (5 nights in West Runton). Noticed this gap at the rear of the hatch cover and the headliner on the way home. I might be imagining things but I don’t remember it being that big. Is this normal or has something fallen?

When look back into the gap you can see the bed springs.

It’s a Coast but presumably the same on an Ocean.

89D3EC54-DEDC-4FC9-A30D-B09BAEB5DF8F.jpeg

No gap appeared in mine in 4 years but may related to the 'saggy bottom' thread.

Just back from first trip away (5 nights in West Runton). Noticed this gap at the rear of the hatch cover and the headliner on the way home. I might be imagining things but I don’t remember it being that big. Is this normal or has something fallen?

When look back into the gap you can see the bed springs.

It’s a Coast but presumably the same on an Ocean.

View attachment 79536
Ours is like that. I did wonder if it was normal?

Hi @steverob55 I don’t think the other thread is relevant. It’s titled :

NEW T6.1 POP UP TOP BED BELLYING AFTER 3 NIGHTS​

Hi @steverob55 I don’t think the other thread is relevant. It’s titled :

NEW T6.1 POP UP TOP BED BELLYING AFTER 3 NIGHTS​

Ah, thanks. I actually posted this question into there too. Trying to get as many eyes on this as I can.

He’s going into the garage on Tuesday to fix a rattle so will ask then. Though they don’t have another Cali on site I don’t think, so can’t compare it. They will likely not know. Been trawling through all the photos I took and the videos the dealer sent me but it’s one angle I never captured.

l noticed the same after using the roof once or twice...I just put it down to not noticing when new..but may it has sagged!

? Heavy weight on the lip when clambering upstairs?
Mines horizontal, no gap, but a 6yr old T5. 1. But we don't sleep upstairs. Children only.

New Ocean December 20 (Electric Roof)

Looks worse than it is in the pics. Could quite easily obsess over it if I put my mind to it!

4E43E774-3F72-4EF6-B64D-B3F3695966FB.jpeg

CABC2BE9-0AFC-41BC-ABF1-61C565B89EAA.jpeg

2E57FD94-5507-413D-B6AF-D68C7F155546.jpeg

2C810335-0DEF-43C8-BCE1-3514B570FA8B.jpeg

New Ocean December 20 (Electric Roof)

Looks worse than it is in the pics. Could quite easily obsess over it if I put my mind to it!

View attachment 79581

View attachment 79582

View attachment 79583

View attachment 79584
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot lot better, it’s not just mine then.

I might just need to chill out about it. I’m doing exactly what you describe and obsessing about it. I’m so keen to have everything perfect that I am obsessing about every little detail.

Mine has a slight gap too - not been up top very much at all so will be interesting to see if sags anymore - I do struggle closing the hatch as its all very tight up there!

I think it’s just the headlining that sags, nothing to do with the bed. The leading edge of the headlining is unsupported across the width of the van and just relies on it’s own strength. Susceptible to being pulled down by the careless :-(

I think it’s just the headlining that sags, nothing to do with the bed. The leading edge of the headlining is unsupported across the width of the van and just relies on it’s own strength. Susceptible to being pulled down by the careless :-(
Yeah, it’s just the headliner. The bed itself is fine.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot lot better, it’s not just mine then.

I might just need to chill out about it. I’m doing exactly what you describe and obsessing about it. I’m so keen to have everything perfect that I am obsessing about every little detail.
I'm still driving round tesco car park to find the space with no cars within half a mile...my wife is not that happy at the walk...hopefully I will chill out about it one day..dreading having to park next to another vehicle!!! :)

I'm still driving round tesco car park to find the space with no cars within half a mile...my wife is not that happy at the walk...hopefully I will chill out about it one day..dreading having to park next to another vehicle!!! :)
She’ll get used to it ;)

I drop the wife off at the door and drive around for a suitable space to park. Keeps her happy and therefore me too.

Back