Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Ladder?

I also bought the ladder 2 years ago as we both sleep always upstairs. Very easy to use and important when you have to make a p.. in the night to go downstairs. Also you saves the chairs. A good thing. Nick from the Netherlands.

I should point out I demonstrated one in the club video if you want to see it and was told afterwards that folks use them sideways not how I used it haha. Doh. :talktothehand:headbang

I doubt if the ladder would help stop Mrs.MartG from kicking me in the head at 04:00 hours when trying to maneuver for descent - anyone got any tips? (and we are not going to sleep 'heads in')

Thanks for the advice and comments all. Will definitely pick one up soon. Sideways use seems easier for us I think. Looking forward to finding out. Got other ladders for diy at home but this will be the most used ( and quite rightly considering it will be the most expensive one!)

It helps if you are 195 like me, and not yet that old.
I have never had problems to enter the top bed, but I can imagine for much smaller persons, or older persons (no offense), or persons with disabilities in all it's forms (arthritis, ....) that it might be a tough job to get upstairs without the stairs.

It helps if you are 195 like me, and not yet that old.
I have never had problems to enter the top bed, but I can imagine for much smaller persons, or older persons (no offense), or persons with disabilities in all it's forms (arthritis, ....) that it might be a tough job to get upstairs without the stairs.
Is 195 not considered old in Belgium?

Nah, that is just medium. We have a healthy country you know...

cm that was of course :rolleyes:

Rather than the bespoke top bunk ladder. Consider buying a telescopic ladder.

The telescopic ladder works well inside but comes in to its own when installing and offloading the roof hood. Especially when wet.

Is much cheaper (£36) than the bespoke ladder and fits nicely on top of the rear bed frame (under the mattress) when in transit.

The telescopic ladder works well inside but comes in to its own when installing and offloading the roof hood. Especially when wet.

Is much cheaper (£36) than the bespoke ladder and fits nicely on top of the rear bed frame (under the mattress) when in transit.

Also have this and nearly £120 in pocket and used around Cali and at home.
Easily stowed on rear bed extension with bedding, accessible at “bedding up” from within van.
Use sideways (NB both seats need swivelled”)
See image.
Any issues. Keep thumbs/fingers away from treads when releasing latches to collapse for storage. Only experience once, very painful

Re in use, take up yoga. Had the being kicked in head but after taking up yoga for both of us, a “ head kick” is no longer likely or expectedE6927118-9020-4F14-ACEE-F523DCAFBD78.jpeg

I also have the telescopic ladder, works a treat for the bed and can be stored on the rear Shelf. Also very useful when cleaning the roof gutter and awning of debris.

We got one from the club shop recently as my wife had a operation and used it on a two week trip every night,
I found it harder to get upstairs than without (I’m 6ft )but never thought of trying it sideways which I will do next time out,
We sleep upstairs every night and without it couldn’t of gone away and if you struggle getting upstairs it will be a big plus to your van, it’s very well made and stored away nicely in the bag, expensive yes but it’s a one time buy and if it means making life easier and getting away it’s worth every penny

Am I the only one who stands on the armrest and then onto the top of the drivers chair...?
Never needed a ladder.

Am I the only one who stands on the armrest and then onto the top of the drivers chair...?
Never needed a ladder.

This may help inform your usage

Back