Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof messy sealant - is this normal?

daveyboydanger

daveyboydanger

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
IMG_5752.JPG IMG_5753.JPG
Just putting my roof up today as the vans been away for the bodywork after the numpty driving into me.
Noticed all this bit of sealant rather crudely used around my roof. Is that normal?
I may be mad but I can't remember this mess on my first T6.
Body shop shouldn't have gone near the roof for any reason so this is from factory???

Been discussed a LOT on the forum ....normal VW finisch...:D
It does attract the eye more on a canary the a grey..
Thanks. Sorry about the thread then! You think you've read everything but obviously not! It does like a rubbish rushed job doesn't it. Ah well don't see it unless you're looking for it!

Hi Dave, your Cali was posted on the T5 forum a couple of days ago. Near Darwen perhaps? Plenty of compliments on your colour choice.

Yep normal. First time I looked I laughed as it seems VW employ someone who has no ability whatsoever with mastic. Less visible on an candy white.

Hi Dave, your Cali was posted on the T5 forum a couple of days ago. Near Darwen perhaps? Plenty of compliments on your colour choice.
Are you on Facebook? VW T5 forum?

I'm on Facebook but not part of the t5 forum...
Might not be my van.
Oh yes it is! Join the forum as I don't think I can provide a link you aren't a member. I will try and message it you.

Oh yes it is! Join the forum as I don't think I can provide a link you aren't a member. I will try and message it you.
Thanks, there's a lot of different Facebook groups with t5 forum as name. Just trying to work out the right one.

View attachment 18919 View attachment 18918
Just putting my roof up today as the vans been away for the bodywork after the numpty driving into me.
Noticed all this bit of sealant rather crudely used around my roof. Is that normal?
I may be mad but I can't remember this mess on my first T6.
Body shop shouldn't have gone near the roof for any reason so this is from factory???

We bought a new Knaus eleven years ago. They had literally dunked the roof in sealant I was aghast when I got up to clean it the first time and was thinking of attacking it with a stanley knife. Called the dealer and he told me it was normal to prevent leaks. No leaks in 11 years leave it be.

We bought a new Knaus eleven years ago. They had literally dunked the roof in sealant I was aghast when I got up to clean it the first time and was thinking of attacking it with a stanley knife. Called the dealer and he told me it was normal to prevent leaks. No leaks in 11 years leave it be.
Ha ha it was funny reading this we also bought a Knaus 11 yrs ago had exactly the same issue but like you say it has never had the slightest leak.
Agree leave it be

I put on a bellows bungee and had a shock to see the sealant mess all around. But as long as can't see it and it doesn't leak or galvanize i shall not worry. Sent a copy to the dealer just in case. 20170319_115145.jpg