Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof seal failure on 16 plate California - Bristol/Bath repair?

Tigger

Tigger

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi,

Our roof seal has failed about 4” back from the front left corner. Is this expected in a 4 yr old Cali? 21k miles.
I wondered if it might be related to the repair being done for roof corrosion a year ago where I assume they had to refit this seal?

VW in Bristol can’t do anything until the end of October and I’m reluctant to leave it that long, can anyone suggest anyone else in the Bath/Bristol area?

E2D40D07-8BEB-4123-9701-46FE0FB6973F.jpeg

Hi,

Our roof seal has failed about 4” back from the front left corner. Is this expected in a 4 yr old Cali? 21k miles.
I wondered if it might be related to the repair being done for roof corrosion a year ago where I assume they had to refit this seal?

VW in Bristol can’t do anything until the end of October and I’m reluctant to leave it that long, can anyone suggest anyone else in the Bath/Bristol area?

View attachment 67077
Are you paying or is VW picking up the cost?
DIY job fitting new seal.
But if VW are paying then no problem leaving it until they can fix it. If you want, just put some Gaffer Tape over it.

Would you expect VW to pick up the cost?

My DIY is not good, I’ll need someone vaguely competent to install it :) but maybe that could be the local garage instead.

It looks like you have not had the recall Service Action done that installs the tape and new seal.
p.s. Please fill in your vehicle details in your profile..

It looks like you have not had the recall done that installs the tape and new seal.
p.s. Please fill in your vehicle details in your profile..
Hmm. I have had the recall for the roof corrosion. It was done last August. How do you tell?

Can't understand how a rubber seal can snap.

Do you have a topper that might have snagged on it during
deployment. - but that would have to be in sub zero temps, like -20.

Well we are on our way back from Scotland... ;-)

I think it happened in Scotland last week, we haven’t used a topper for a couple of years. There is a sit on top kayak on the roof but can’t see what difference that would make. I actually think it might have happened whilst sat closed overnight as we were staying with a friend. It did go down to freezing but not much more.

The back off the rubber seal seems like it may have a metal strip on it that has rusted.

I noticed in Feb when I picked it up from a service that the roof seal wasn’t fitting as well as it had before, but nothing had been done to the roof then AFAIK. Maybe it was refitted badly when the recall was done a year ago.

I agree it looks odd, that was one of the reasons for posting it here.

The paint looks like it has some bubbles as well or is it just the light

Looks like the seal is put back under great strain, and has decided to give up at one point.

Some reading for you

post 394 states the work shop action that dealer should follow.
the following was from a very well respected VW Guru, who is no longer on this forum.

“The applicable Workshop action is 75A1 states that if the roof frame seal has damage such as corrosion or cracks then it should be replaced. Even if your vehicle is not due the workshop action and the seal has corrosion then it is a warrantable item and should therefore be replaced.”

I commented on your Facebook post where you didn’t mention the roof recall repair. Knowing that, I’d definitely push for it to be repaired free of charge, as they simply don’t fail like that in normal use. It must have been damaged (over stretched) during the repair.

I had a roof repair done and a new seal fitted. The fitters damaged the new seal fitting at the same place yours has failed. Had a new one fitted. All good
I would try VW customer services and se what they say.
. They were excellent in my case.