Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof strange behaviour T6.1 Ocean

C

cocodicoba

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi all, we are enjoying our new cali on our first Europe trip!
We have noticed after a week holiday in Italy that our roof goes down by itsself to an „intermediate position“ only a few centimetres but enough so the lights are not working anymore - anybody else has this issue too? Could it be the hot temperatures? Thanks for your thoughts

California Ocean T6.1 204

Yep, happened to us after about 3 days, brand new T6.1

Advice from Volkswagen Campercentrum in the Netherlands: The popup roof can sometimes sag a little, on one or both sides. This is not a problem in itself. Do you want to fix it anyway? Turn on the engine, open the windows and open and close the roof five times.

@gaitoetnhof thanks for your response. As soon as I am on my next longer trip I will try it and hope this isn't just dutch humour and the whole campsite will laugh about me ;-)
I will report back here if it changed anything on the situation

Advice from Volkswagen Campercentrum in the Netherlands: The popup roof can sometimes sag a little, on one or both sides. This is not a problem in itself. Do you want to fix it anyway? Turn on the engine, open the windows and open and close the roof five times.
I’m not sure I would do that.

I think we’ve been warned of overheating the roof motor. Putting it up and down 5 times seems certain to do that. Was that VW advice? Seems dubious.

@gaitoetnhof thanks for your response. As soon as I am on my next longer trip I will try it and hope this isn't just dutch humour and the whole campsite will laugh about me ;-)
I will report back here if it changed anything on the situation
That is the reason why I did it at home ;-). Unfortunately, I have not been able to test the results yet. I will do that on my next trip in two weeks.

I’m not sure I would do that.

I think we’ve been warned of overheating the roof motor. Putting it up and down 5 times seems certain to do that. Was that VW advice? Seems dubious.
I have done it and the system still works...

Ours did the same, was back at VW a couple of times for them to 'bleed air' from the system. It's not air otherwise you could compress the bellows and it would feel springy, it's rock solid. The drop is from a failed seal allowing oil to seep beyond the non-return valve on the pump outlet. To be fair to VW they replaced the pump under warranty. Just need to persevere with them, I'm not sure if HQ is giving the a process to follow first, but they are changing pumps.

Good luck

Hi @Swissdog-exUK, sorry for late response and happy new year. We had a few other smaller issues in addition to the roof and brought ours back to the dealer for snagging. They told us the roof is a known issue and they can fix it and want to keep it for a few days to watch it afterwards. I completely forgot to ask for more details when picking up, but your explanation makes sense to me. We have only done short trips since then, but the roof stayed up so far - let's see how it is next year during our long summer trips. So far I am very happy with the Eurovans Crawley After Sales Service

Hi @Swissdog-exUK, sorry for late response and happy new year. We had a few other smaller issues in addition to the roof and brought ours back to the dealer for snagging. They told us the roof is a known issue and they can fix it and want to keep it for a few days to watch it afterwards. I completely forgot to ask for more details when picking up, but your explanation makes sense to me. We have only done short trips since then, but the roof stayed up so far - let's see how it is next year during our long summer trips. So far I am very happy with the Eurovans Crawley After Sales Service
Belated happy new year to you too.
Good to hear they're engaging with you too.

Back