Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof thoughts...wonder if VW read this.

P

Paul S

VIP Member
Lovely bit of engineering though it is (most of the time) is there any owner out there that would be put off if VW were in future to "de-content" the SE by replacing the hydraulic roof system in favour of the Beach-spec gas struts? Other than losing a bit of "wow" effect I can only see benefits to VW and the user: less cost, less complexity, easier to build, fewer warranty claims, less weight etc. So, if you were to be 100% honest is it currently a part of the van that keeps you sweating about the warranty expiring? Just an idle thought as there's nothing worth watching on TV at the moment.

must say .just dont no why they done the roof like this .my t4 westie had struts and never had any problems in 6 yrs i had the van .i have had a flat battery two times now .as i have left the key in ignition and left it turned on .as i have to turn it on to put the roof up .why dont they have a alarm to tell you to take the key out .does make you think if they ever camp in these vans when they make them . :headwall .

I would be more than happy to have a manual roof, like you say, most of the expensive and time consuming repairs are roof related.

If there was a choice - I'd take the manual everytime - especially when the van is out of warranty.

The electric roof is a lovely piece of kit but with the Beach, as some of you have probably seen it's no more than 5 mins to raise and lower it.

It's just one less thing to go wrong and if you are buying new possibly money saved to go twards something else.

This is not a dig at the electric roof, it's lovely and it suits the Cali's high end conversion ideals but the manual works fine.

James

Have to agree, the roof doesn't need o be this complicated.

I'd take manual if it was available.

M

I was really impressed with the Beach roof when I saw it operated, no need to over complicate things with electronics when there is a perfectly adequate mechanical alternative. Less things to go wrong the better - although on second thoughts it's quite handy to stop the roof half way down to tuck all it's bits in- can you do that with the beach roof?

manual for me , the electric roof is a disaster waiting to happen, otherwise love the cali

Linda said:
I was really impressed with the Beach roof when I saw it operated, no need to over complicate things with electronics when there is a perfectly adequate mechanical alternative. Less things to go wrong the better - although on second thoughts it's quite handy to stop the roof half way down to tuck all it's bits in- can you do that with the beach roof?

Linda

You don't really need to tuck things in - it just sort of folds in on itself - I always have someone check as it comes down but I have never had to tuck bits in.

It's a bit hard to explain but the weight of the roof with the gas struts pulls the roof in. You have to tuck some of the bits in by the cab so they don't get caught up in the catches but that's all.

I kind of like the mechanical nature of it - feels more back to basics which I think suits the Beach. I thought you could specify an electric roof in Germany but I had a look and can't see it listed, would have been interested to get a price as an option.

James

How many people have had roof failures then??

It's not something I've read of before so for me I'm sticking with the hydro/electric.

Stu said:
How many people have had roof failures then??

It's not something I've read of before so for me I'm sticking with the hydro/electric.

I don't think water is involved with powering the roof Stu.

But, I agree, more than happy for battery power and hydraulics to do the job for me. From what I've heard, roof problems are normally due to mis-use. ;-)

To VW the whole point of the Cali is the spec especially the roof!A key USP for them too. The Beach has manual because its USP is being striiped back to essential lifestyle that needs multi purpose!
When breiefly toying with a conversion one of things I thought I wanted was a manual roof, Now I would hate to go back!

I would be quite happy with a manual roof ...quicker alot less noise with less to go wrong and does the same job ..... ;)
but it is cool and gives the cali something a little different from the home brew conversions :thumb

Does the Beach roof have both struts tied together with a link?

This can be a problem when raising/lowering. If both sides are not mechanically linked ridgidly then the roof can twist and distort when being operated leading to cracks/breakages over time.

The T4 Westy California, as mentioned earlier, has a beautiful system of linked levers. One simple cross bar that you just shuv up and forwards. Roof up in under 10 seconds.

I must admit when I first saw the T5 Cali electric roof I did wonder why they went to so much bother/expense to fix non existant problem?

You could live with a failed roof in the lowered position (at least it's still driveable) but if it fails when raised, you're going nowhere!

Some things just need to be simple.

S.

I love the power roof...provides a real sense of occasion when setting up.
Dislike the power side door though. Noisy at night and sometimes jerks open when closing (probably a faulty trap sensor).

The fragility/reliability issues are just part of the cost of ownership. Without these built in obsolecense and reliability issues, we'd be owing the same van for many years, and then how would VW make enough money to continue selling cali's!

I agree that the electric roof adds a sense of occasion, but I doubt many of us would be keen to specify it if it was priced as a VW option!

Incidentally, on both the California SE I hired for a weekend, and my new one (picked it up on Saturday - yay!) the roof doesn't always fold down perfectly flush when the child net is fitted. One corner can end up proud of the roof, and it needs one more go and a quick poke around to level out the bellows & net. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it 'user error' ...

Simon

Stu said:
Are you not supposed to remove the child net before closing?

Probably, but I haven't had time to open the manual yet! It does close OK most of the time, and I wasn't sure if it was the net causing the problem, or if others have to 'adjust' and try again sometimes to get it fully closed. I am not leaving any bedding up there, obviously.
Simon

....is there a child caught in the netting? :doh

muttley said:
Stu said:
Are you not supposed to remove the child net before closing?

Probably, but I haven't had time to open the manual yet! It does close OK most of the time, and I wasn't sure if it was the net causing the problem, or if others have to 'adjust' and try again sometimes to get it fully closed. I am not leaving any bedding up there, obviously.
Simon

I have to say and please this is not meant to offend but if I had a 50k vehicle with an electric roof like the Cali, I'd find time to read the manual.

You're asking for trouble otherwise. Even with my Beach I read and reread the manaual and supplement.

James

Be nice if they could design it so it doesn't snag the rear n/s scissor mechanism, with the slightest puff of wind, or when not looking when dropping the roof. I've had two replaced last year and have a couple this year. The knack is easy to stop it happening, but the instruction manual isn't very detailed.

I'm currently working with VW Uk on a possible modification to stop this ever happening again.

With very very careful use of the close button, we put ours down in a force 10 cross wind.

It think it's utterly brilliant and very robust for most occasions.

I live by the mantra that if you can't afford to fix it, you shouldn't have bought it. So if out of warranty worries are an issue, sell it.

This opinion is not held by 99% of the population...

KernowLad said:
With very very careful use of the close button, we put ours down in a force 10 cross wind.

It think it's utterly brilliant and very robust for most occasions.

I live by the mantra that if you can't afford to fix it, you shouldn't have bought it. So if out of warranty worries are an issue, sell it.

This opinion is not held by 99% of the population...

Who is this aimed at?