Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof thoughts...wonder if VW read this.

I can afford to have repairs done but I would also rather have a manual roof like many others do you try to wind people up on purpose?

KernowLad...wrote.....With very very careful use of the close button, we put ours down in a force 10 cross wind.

Did you not think to turn the van and put its rear into the wind...?

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
KernowLad said:
With very very careful use of the close button, we put ours down in a force 10 cross wind.

It think it's utterly brilliant and very robust for most occasions.

I live by the mantra that if you can't afford to fix it, you shouldn't have bought it. So if out of warranty worries are an issue, sell it.

This opinion is not held by 99% of the population...

Who is this aimed at?

AnyandLiz - I'm sick of your insults. Post reported BEFORE you edited it. Mods - the original post, now edited read "pr1ck" BTW. You seem to get very upset at the slightest opinion led comment.

Ollie - very few here but the masses that buy an expensive vehicle on the never never and spend their ownership time bricking themselves about it breaking down. Yes we have warranties for a while but what about when they expire? Our economy is currently in big trouble because people but stuff on the never never, have to insure it up to the eyeballs and basically spend vast amounts of protecting themselves because they can't actually properly afford what they've bought.

Finance/leasing DOES make sense for some but for all too many, it's a silly way of buying something they can't actually afford.

Save up for stuff, buy it, enjoy it.

Or pay for depreciation AND interest (yes I've done this and learned my lesson) and keep those utter muppet banks running. This is an OPINION and I believe the correct response is to discuss or move to another thread.

Bernard - winds change direction and strength. In this case from an Northerly force 3 to an Easterly force 10 at 1am and we were on pretty non-level ground (on ramps) so a move would have been tricky. We did consider it but decided the wind was too strong for any angle!

I removed the post for obvious reasons we have been running for nearly a year and this is the first
Disagreement we have had can you please refrain from insults :thanks

:oops: whoops, I didn't mean to start a row. Nice mix of opinions here though. As I said in my original post I think the roof is a neat piece of kit and I am not having a pop at it. I was just pondering whether the benefits of the electro-hydraulic roof as it stands could be more than outweighed by the other potential benefits achievable by having a manual system. So on the one hand you have ease of use and "gadget-sexiness" (I just made that word up), on the other it'd be cheaper to make so VW could sell the vehicle for less - or more likely keep the price the same fit a couple more options as standard and make more profit. It'd weigh less = more efficiency. That weight could come off where it matters most ie, high up so maybe the handling would benefit a tiny bit. It'd be less complex which would reduce the chances of it ever going wrong (and I'm not suggesting they are always on the blink) so less potential for warranty claims = less cost to VW = even more profits for them. Love the van, love the forum. Keep calm and carry on.

Anyone know what the full fat Cali roof weighs compared to the Beach one (or similar non electric version)? Would be interested to know. I think I read somewhere that the Cali roof costs well over £4k.

Interesting opinions, I am just about decided on a manual sca pop top for my cali copy build but have been offered an electric cali roof (used) for £2k. The installation doesn't scare me as all is possible with research, patience, a certain amount of skill and determination, but I think i would still prefer a manual roof. Less complicated/heavy, more reliable/less to go wrong etc. Plus the sca deluxe has elastic strappy things that pull the roof canvas in when lowering roof and also enables relatively easy replacement of the canvas if damaged.
Not as cool as an electric roof though!
SCA deluxe fitted, with bed and colour coding roof is around £4500!!!
I don't fit them so looking for an installer, will prob go to three bridge campers.

Regarding non VW roof install, I've yet to see one that uses a positive fixing arrangement for the base of the canvas where it meets the roof. All seem to simply use a bead of silicon.

Nasty at best.

S.

I would be interested to know the reason that it is the near side roof that seems to be the problem area where the bellows catch on the scissor mechanism .... Does anyone know!

I bought a new DSG 180 in March 2012 and SMG replaced the roof for me as the scissor mechanism had a sharp area on the passenger side and caught the bellows damaging the roof. I think it was Stu who had a very sensible suggestion that one could watch the roof internally coming down from inside the vehicle, previously I was letting it down a few cms and then getting out to look all around. I am frequently on my own so don't have a second person to be outside the van to check.

Frankly the roof mechanism is a delight for me as long as it works, I have various old injuries From horsebriding and skiing that I won't go into but the ability to get the roof down without manual assistance is a huge bonus for me as it makes me more independent. I looked at numerous campervan types for 12 months before I bought the new Cali, and despite lots of niggles that Alex from SMG has sorted out for me Imam very happy with my Cali.
I would agree absolutely essential to read the manual and California supplement that comes with the Cali and to keep up with this forum which is a huge source of advice and tips.
It's not worthwhile being rude to anyone-it's a VERY small world and likely to backfire eventually.

I like the down-to-earth feeling of the small camper van - otherwise would have bought a motorhome. So yes, manual is preferred in most cases. I even like manual windows, you know, turn, turn, turn! Actually, if I could buy a T3-Berlin type van with 2012 safety, reliabilty and economy I would go for that.

Leo K said:
I like the down-to-earth feeling of the small camper van - otherwise would have bought a motorhome. So yes, manual is preferred in most cases. I even like manual windows, you know, turn, turn, turn! Actually, if I could buy a T3-Berlin type van with 2012 safety, reliabilty and economy I would go for that.

Have to agree with the simplicity of a manual roof, less to go wrong, less weight and more like camping, if you see what I mean. Obviously if you can't easily reach or pull down the roof, that would be a problem that an electric roof can fix. I broke my elbow riding my bike, and luckily it's healed well, but it could have been a different story (thank you NHS).

seems an odd thread considering most of you have Calis.....there are loads of top notch bespoke convertors doing manual roofs not just the motorhome guys!

David Eccles said:
seems an odd thread considering most of you have Calis.....there are loads of top notch bespoke convertors doing manual roofs not just the motorhome guys!

That makes sense, David. Maybe I should have given more attention to a 'private' conversion, and maybe I will next time. Though, at least over here, the choice is very limited if you're looking for a used conversion with few miles on the counter. And the ones I saw just didn't look and feel as good as the original! So I guess I have to put up with the Cali for the time being (deplorable, isn't it? :D ).

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Be nice if they could design it so it doesn't snag the rear n/s scissor mechanism, with the slightest puff of wind, or when not looking when dropping the roof. I've had two replaced last year and have a couple this year. The knack is easy to stop it happening, but the instruction manual isn't very detailed.

I'm currently working with VW Uk on a possible modification to stop this ever happening again.

Oli,

Could you explain (or point to a posting of) "the knack", please; also can I ask what approximate modification are you suggesting?

PETER M

As shown to me by Justin at BMVS you need to lower the roof while standing up at the front of the van in the roof hatchway so you can see to the rear of the roof. Then lower it and watch to make sure that the bellows at the rear are coming inwards. Periodically stop lowering if you want to pop outside to make sure but if its coming in inside it will be OK. Once the roof is about to touch your head it is safe to retreat down into the van and close it the rest of the way down and fold up the front bellows neatly before closing the hatch.

I reckon roof closing is a subject ripe for a short tutorial video on YouTube (let's face it its more useful than a sneezing panda).

I reckon roof closing is a subject ripe for a short tutorial video on YouTube (let's face it its more useful than a sneezing panda).

Are you volunteering :?:

having windows open is a key thing to ensure air expels..
I just look back to see if all OK when prompted by computer to make sure I have done the 3 jobs (very useful for me!)...
what a great video that would be of a line of Calis popping their roofs to a ballet or waltz soundtrack....
watching roofs go up and down always grabs attention!

I watch it come down right until it's almost on my head. So far it's only popped out (at the rear) once and it took a gentle knock to get it back in again.

It went down a bit crooked in a force 10 gale but a bit of gentle raising then lowering sorted it.

Our mates with the same van (almost identical spec, age, colour!) had their roof fail completely last month so it can happen.

It depends what you mean by failure. As I have already reported, the day before we went away I started to lower our roof and it stuck in the up right position. Cause was the little round knob on the controller you use for lowering the roof, the frig etc etc. The van was undrivable and i had to call out VW Assist (very good).
My van was new in march 2012 so I am pretty disappointed. My previous Westie T4 with its manual lid did fail once ( in 9 years) , but I was able to drive with it down.
Initially i was pleased with the electric roof, brilliant to show off with on the campsite , now i am not so sure. Say it won't come down when i am due to catch the ferry home at Calais? Who pays the extra fare on the ferry? How to communicate with french VW Assist? Who pays for my blood pressure pills? etc etc .
In fact given the choice i think that I'd go for a manual.

having had a blown relay causing roof failure the first time we had one on loan from VW its not a nice feeling being stuck. We did the lowering manually thing...not easy at all!
But did it put me off? for a while, yes....one reason for investigating a bespoke conversion with a Reimo or similar roof.
what a sickener to happen on a new Cali :cry:

i was in noirmutier last week and I''m certain I saw a silver 2013 cali with gas struts / manual conversion. anyone on here?

We love the electric roof. Our old t2 was manual and one complete pain in the backside. Give us the electric one everytime, love it to bits. Only disappointing thing is that you have to have the doors/windows open to down the roof, not much fun if raining!!

Love the cali, best vehicle we have ever owned.

Chris and Liz :p

I broke a rib in France ....there would be no way I could have raised or lowered a manual roof..so I'm on the elec side.

How did you manage that malc? (break your rib I mean)