Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof thoughts...wonder if VW read this.

I am in for real ribbing on this!

I broke it in the Cali retrieving something that had fallen over back seat!

Told my neighbours on the campsite not to make me laugh or sneeze ....guess what ..your right......they went out of their way to make me laugh.....

Lol......hard luck malc accidents can happen when you least expect them!

I've got a roof topper which I use quite regularly. As I'm not overly tall, wrestling it into place is made much easier by raising the electric roof in very easy stages, particularly for the initial fitting. So for that alone I'd go for keeping the Cali as it is.

magmil said:
I've got a roof topper which I use quite regularly. As I'm not overly tall, wrestling it into place is made much easier by raising the electric roof in very easy stages, particularly for the initial fitting. So for that alone I'd go for keeping the Cali as it is.

Having the roof partially open does make fitting a topper easier and on a Beach thats not as easy as the gas struts take it all the way up.
I've achieved a similar partial raising and hold on the Beach roof by making up 2 short loops of rope that clip internally between the roof clips. Bit less hi tech than a hydraulic ram :lol:

In the 80's we owned a Westfalia with the roof you push up. To be honest I'd be more than happy to have that on the Cali. The more electronic gizmo's there are on a vehicle, the more there is to go wrong. I actually like windows you can wind up/down to the nearest fraction--something that's hard to do with electric ones, and you don't get your hair caught in them either !!

Same for me, had a Westphalia T2 for 25 years, push up roof was fine. We had a complete roof failure when on holiday in Hungary last year. VW Vienna looked at it on the way home and diagnosed a hydraulic pump failure. Would have taken three days to get parts and do the work.We left it until we got home and £1200 later the roof goes up and down again. Just one of the many faults we have had to resolve with over complicated and under engineered camper part of the California.
Give me a mechanical push roof next time

I love the power roof. less hassle and looks cool as hell at the beach. draws the crowds however, we did have a total roof failure when it was about 1.5 yrs old. It started drooping on one side then it was only coming all the way down on one side, then eventually broke. Called RAC who didnt know what to do. Took it to VW Dorchester (with the Rac report) and it was taken away to get a brand new roof. All sorted.

Now showing crease sings on both sides. not sure what that is but its slowley getting worse.