Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roofbox on bikerack

Steeble

Steeble

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Was looking for a way to carry skis/snowboard over the winter and found a cheap roofbox to bodge.
Have managed to modify internal clamps to allow me to use bike rack bars without adding any extra bits.
Drilled a few new holes
Trying to decide if I need to add extra reinforcement but also figure box will be protected from wind by the van

PXL_20231111_123128842.jpg

Was looking for a way to carry skis/snowboard over the winter and found a cheap roofbox to bodge.
Have managed to modify internal clamps to allow me to use bike rack bars without adding any extra bits.
Drilled a few new holes
Trying to decide if I need to add extra reinforcement but also figure box will be protected from wind by the van

View attachment 116242
Good idea. You probably have a weight limit with bike rack and you might struggle to open it in situ, but I carry anything that fits on mine - awnings, SUP’s, bodyboards, etc. as long as they are secure.

Good idea. You probably have a weight limit with bike rack and you might struggle to open it in situ, but I carry anything that fits on mine - awnings, SUP’s, bodyboards, etc. as long as they are secure.
Weight limit with bike rack is similar to what the roof box takes. Only ever plan to be a few sets of skis or boards anyway so not overly concerned.
Holes were drilled in place with box open so should be fine to use

Weight limit with bike rack is similar to what the roof box takes. Only ever plan to be a few sets of skis or boards anyway so not overly concerned.
Holes were drilled in place with box open so should be fine to use
Maybe the aerodynamics have gone a bit sideways though :)

Looks good. I’ve considered doing similar on my Atera dl3 bikerack each year ahead of our ski trip, but each year end up not getting round to it and just pushing the skis through one of the drawer hatches under the seat. As my youngests feet nearly touch the ground now maybe this is the year I need to go for it

Looks good. I’ve considered doing similar on my Atera dl3 bikerack each year ahead of our ski trip, but each year end up not getting round to it and just pushing the skis through one of the drawer hatches under the seat. As my youngests feet nearly touch the ground now maybe this is the year I need to go for it
If it was just skis I'd probably do that too but doesn't work with snowboards and I normally drive up to ski area night before and sleep in van and not always convenient to share a bed with my board

Back