Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roofbox some questions please!

K

koups

Hi, I am looking to get a roof box. I see the weight limit for the fixings/bars/box is 50Kg if the roof is lifted. I have calculated the weight of the fixings and bars comes to about 16Kg, the roof box weight vary from 13-19kg. So if I go for a larger box it is coming in at a total weight of just shy of 35Kg. That gives me 15Kg for stuff which is a bit limiting. Can I ask:

- Have others gone for a bigger box and just emptied a few items if they are lifting the roof (is it acceptable to pack heavier and unload before raising the roof?)

- Or have others bought smaller boxes weighing 13Kg so give more flexibility?

- Do people generally get a left or right opening? I was going to put on the other side to the door and use an extendable ladder to access.

Does anyone have any recommendations on boxes? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!

Thule ranger 500 roof bag is the lightest....

I have a kayak on the roof too. I use the thule for very light things like drysuit, towels and cycling helmets etc...

Hmm- thanks very much. That looks a good idea- I guess it is not that secure but for light stuff that is not valuable then it is a good idea. Gets it all out of the cabin or boot.

Do you tend to take off the whole roof bag when it is empty?

It can stay on the roof empty no problems as it is rigid along its length.

I did consider the security side of things, but even some of the lockable hard boxes have very poor locks.

Hi,

The roof bars you're using - are they the official vw ones? I weighed them and they're about 2.6 kg per bar. Which bars are you using?

I'm using a Thule motion 600 roofbox (15kg), so with the bars that'll leave me about 30kg. I'm going to be using mine for kitesurfing kites, so that's plenty of capacity.

Thanks Dave- I think that each bar with the footings will come to 3kg so 6kg in total, not my calculation above. With a box weighing 13kg that gives me about 31kg as well!

Back