Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Router underperforming by two thirds.

Simon1

Simon1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
I had my suspicions but have just confirmed that my router is only giving me about a third of the available SIM card speed. Previously I’d only compared it to my mobile with different sim and assumed the van one was just a slower sim but I’ve just tested the van sim(3) in the van router and got 11mb then tested it in my mobile in the same location which reached 32mb.
The only thing I’ve done (ages ago) is swap the purple connector one connection to the left as has been discussed on the forum and this was because my iphone would keep asking me to disconnect from apple car play and wouldn’t let me log on the the van WiFi, anyway that solved that problem but I was just wondering if anyone else has the same issue?

Last edited:
I had my suspicions but have just confirmed that my router is only giving me about a third of the available SIM card speed. Previously I’d only compared it to my mobile with different sim and assumed the van one was just a slower sim but I’ve just tested the van sim(3) in the van router and got 11mb then tested it in my mobile in the same location which reached 32mb.
The only thing I’ve done (ages ago) is swap the purple connector one connection to the left as has been discussed on the forum and this was because my iphone would keep asking me to disconnect from apple car play and wouldn’t let me log on the the van WiFi, anyway that solved that problem but I was just wondering if anyone else has the same issue?
Probably your router and phone wifi/network settings are different.

I don't know anything about the GC router, but I have some experience of routers in general. How are you testing the speed? I assume you are connecting your phone on wifi and running a speed test app on your phone? Do you know what wifi band it is running on - 2.4ghz or 5? 5 would be faster but give less range, although 2.4 should handle more than 11mb anyway.

Does the router work on the 4g mobile data network - if it's only 3g then that would make a big difference... there might be a setting you need to enable to get 4g to work.

The SpeedChecker app runs separate Internet and wifi tests (at least in Android) so you can see if it's the SIM or the wifi side causing the problem.

If the wifi is the issue then you might be getting interference from some other router / baby monitor etc. try driving out somewhere away from houses (couple of hundred meters - don't go mad!) and see if you get anything different.

Finally, you can get interference on your phone with Bluetooth and 2.4ghz wifi, so if you are on 2.4 then try switching off Bluetooth on your phone and see if that makes any difference.

Let me know how you get on.

Probably your router and phone wifi/network settings are different.
Thanks, As the phone has the higher data flow, problem must be on the router side, will check if any settings need changing.

I don't know anything about the GC router, but I have some experience of routers in general. How are you testing the speed? I assume you are connecting your phone on wifi and running a speed test app on your phone? Do you know what wifi band it is running on - 2.4ghz or 5? 5 would be faster but give less range, although 2.4 should handle more than 11mb anyway.

Does the router work on the 4g mobile data network - if it's only 3g then that would make a big difference... there might be a setting you need to enable to get 4g to work.

The SpeedChecker app runs separate Internet and wifi tests (at least in Android) so you can see if it's the SIM or the wifi side causing the problem.

If the wifi is the issue then you might be getting interference from some other router / baby monitor etc. try driving out somewhere away from houses (couple of hundred meters - don't go mad!) and see if you get anything different.

Finally, you can get interference on your phone with Bluetooth and 2.4ghz wifi, so if you are on 2.4 then try switching off Bluetooth on your phone and see if that makes any difference.

Let me know how you get on.
Thanks John, I'm going to try and go into the router settings and see if I can see if anything needs changing while referring to your post for reference.
The router itself has no obvious brand other than Volkswagon, Wireless internet access LTE: Model-CCU4, Made in 2019.
You're correct, I used the app Speedtest by Ookla on my iphone8 and tested the router via the vans wifi then took the sim(ID on 3) and popped it in the iphone
Not sure whether its 2.4ghz or 5, I presume that setting is on the router side so will look and see if it has that facility, same goes for the 4g/3g.
Just tested the sim in a Hauwei mate 10 and got 100mbps and then used it in the same phone for a hotspot and got 50mbps to my iphone, don't know if that is relevant but points to the van router being much lower than it should be @11mbps..

Thanks John, I'm going to try and go into the router settings and see if I can see if anything needs changing while referring to your post for reference.
The router itself has no obvious brand other than Volkswagon, Wireless internet access LTE: Model-CCU4, Made in 2019.
You're correct, I used the app Speedtest by Ookla on my iphone8 and tested the router via the vans wifi then took the sim(ID on 3) and popped it in the iphone
Not sure whether its 2.4ghz or 5, I presume that setting is on the router side so will look and see if it has that facility, same goes for the 4g/3g.
Just tested the sim in a Hauwei mate 10 and got 100mbps and then used it in the same phone for a hotspot and got 50mbps to my iphone, don't know if that is relevant but points to the van router being much lower than it should be @11mbps..
Hi Simon,

Guess you have swooped the Fakra sockets around, it’s a Lesswire. Could be at the antenna end which is above the sliding door.

Will

Hi Simon,

Guess you have swooped the Fakra sockets around, it’s a Lesswire. Could be at the antenna end which is above the sliding door.

Will
Hi Will,
I swapped the purple plug at the rear of the router one place to the left and this got it up and running but slow. When you say the antenna above the sliding door, do you mean there could be a plug that’s wrongly connected there also?
Thanks.

Hi Will,
I swapped the purple plug at the rear of the router one place to the left and this got it up and running but slow. When you say the antenna above the sliding door, do you mean there could be a plug that’s wrongly connected there also?
Thanks.
Hi Simon,

thought I had read you had. The antenna is located behind the white panels above the Door. Maybe it’s come away from its position, just guessing.

Thanks Will,
I will check that out tomorrow to see if it's come loose.

Be careful with all your speed tests... I got a 5G phone a couple of months ago and, naturally was trying out the speed tests whenever I got a 5G signal... well at 625MBPs it goes through a lot of your data allowance, I lost over 2G of my monthly allowance to the speedtest app alone.

Be careful with all your speed tests... I got a 5G phone a couple of months ago and, naturally was trying out the speed tests whenever I got a 5G signal... well at 625MBPs it goes through a lot of your data allowance, I lost over 2G of my monthly allowance to the speedtest app alone.
Luckily I was on a unlimited plan but good point for anyone on a data limited plan and doesn’t realise the speed test uses quite a bit of data if used frequently.

Back