GC WLAN - no internet

• Thread starter Carryon Cali Camping
  • Start date
Carryon Cali Camping

Carryon Cali Camping

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi All - working my way through how everything works on our new to us GC680 and I’m stuck trying to get a internet signal on my iPad via the onboard WLAN - I have inserted a Vodafone data SIM (I use it for work) and can see the VW WiFi and entered the password on my iPad and get a full WiFi signal, but it will not connect to the internet. On the router under the drivers seat, I have a green light for power, blue light for WiFi signal and then a flashing orange or red light. Any ideas?? I know the SIM is fine as I’ve brought it back in the house and connected it through my home office router and have no issues.

Is is not mandatory to use the (very expensive) VW sim plan? I wasn't aware that you could use your own sim card, though it's entirely possible that I'm mistaken with the GC.

Is is not mandatory to use the (very expensive) VW sim plan? I wasn't aware that you could use your own sim card, though it's entirely possible that I'm mistaken with the GC.
Ah ok, was not aware of that, anybody else confirm? there was no existing sim in the router

Just looked at the online brochure and it does say “own SIM card” so I assume it should work with any sim that has data.

I use an O2 SIM .
I found the Ariel was plugged into the wrong port in the back.

I use an O2 SIM .
I found the Ariel was plugged into the wrong port in the back.
Thanks, I will have a look later. There is a kind of plate bolted over the router, did you have to take this off to see the ports, or can you get to them without removing?

Couple of things that I had to do here (1) my cable was plugged into the wrong fitting at the back; it's fiddly to get to it but the purple lead should be in the very left hole. A lot seem to be fitted 'one hole to the right'. (2) I also had to go online to the router - you should have a card that gives you the IP address. The password is 'admin'. You have to set the correct APN settings that I guess your phone SIM does automatically but the router doesn't. I use a SMARTY sim and the APN setting is as follows. If you google 'APN setting' for your provider you should be able to find the setting. 1688277282048.jpeg

Couple of things that I had to do here (1) my cable was plugged into the wrong fitting at the back; it's fiddly to get to it but the purple lead should be in the very left hole. A lot seem to be fitted 'one hole to the right'. (2) I also had to go online to the router - you should have a card that gives you the IP address. The password is 'admin'. You have to set the correct APN settings that I guess your phone SIM does automatically but the router doesn't. I use a SMARTY sim and the APN setting is as follows. If you google 'APN setting' for your provider you should be able to find the setting. View attachment 110521
Thanks, when you so very left hole, is that looking at it from the back of the van? Appreciate your help!

I’m trying to login to the router but the Host name (Volkswagen-hotspot) on the card keeps coming up as server cannot be found

Thanks, when you so very left hole, is that looking at it from the back of the van? Appreciate your help!
Yes on the left from the back but easier to try and reach from the front. The lead ‘clicks’ in so you need a little electrical screwdriver to ‘hold in’ the click bit - hope that makes sense.. You will easily be able to feel if it’s in the correct hole before you try and move it.

Yes on the left from the back but easier to try and reach from the front. The lead ‘clicks’ in so you need a little electrical screwdriver to ‘hold in’ the click bit - hope that makes sense.. You will easily be able to feel if it’s in the correct hole before you try and move it.
The cable is called a ‘fakra cable’ and looks like this - you can see the clip you have to hold down on the one on the right - but our cable is purple 1688279306757.jpeg

The cable is called a ‘fakra cable’ and looks like this - you can see the clip you have to hold down on the one on the right - but our cable is purple View attachment 110522
many thanks, are these in the back of the small unit that the SIM card goes in to or the unit below the sim card unit? I am struggling to see them. Also as the GC is coming up to 4hrs on, im thinking that the internet must have been working before, but the IP issue would make sense with a different SIM card now. This is probably a really stupid question re: IP address, but can I login from in the house to the IP and try and make changes or do I need the sim in the router in the GC and try and access it from there?many thanks again!

many thanks, are these in the back of the small unit that the SIM card goes in to or the unit below the sim card unit? I am struggling to see them. Also as the GC is coming up to 4hrs on, im thinking that the internet must have been working before, but the IP issue would make sense with a different SIM card now. This is probably a really stupid question re: IP address, but can I login from in the house to the IP and try and make changes or do I need the sim in the router in the GC and try and access it from there?many thanks again!
I think you’ll need to be in your van - but you can use the browser on your phone. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and it should bring up the VW router settings page.

I think you’ll need to be in your van - but you can use the browser on your phone. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and it should bring up the VW router settings page.
Oh and the cables are at the back, super fiddly unfortunately

You need to be connected to the VW van wifi and then type in the IP address dennfo has given. This will take you to the VW router page where you choose profile for sim card. Note you may have to go into admin and set up as follows:

Click Settings
Enter Admin password (its on the log in card you should have with wifi code etc
Click 4G/3G/2G tab
Find the APN data for sim card you have and enter in relevant boxes, normally its just APN, user and password thats needed and you leave rest,
Click save
wait for seconds and you should see bottom left connection info and signal strength.

Woohoo! I’m up and running, it was just getting the sim matched to the router! I am seriously technically challenged…..as soon as I took my laptop out to the van and typed in the IP, I connected to the router, it listed around 6 different options that it thought may be matched to my sim, I could see Vodafone Internet Contract, selected that, put in the admin password and I was connected. Running at around 28mb download and 18mb upload which is the same as when I have the sim in my home office! @dennfo many thanks for all your help on a Sunday morning!

Last edited:
You need to be connected to the VW van wifi and then type in the IP address dennfo has given. This will take you to the VW router page where you choose profile for sim card. Note you may have to go into admin and set up as follows:

Click Settings
Enter Admin password (its on the log in card you should have with wifi code etc
Click 4G/3G/2G tab
Find the APN data for sim card you have and enter in relevant boxes, normally its just APN, user and password thats needed and you leave rest,
Click save
wait for seconds and you should see bottom left connection info and signal strength.
Thanks, yes up and running now!! I think!

Back